• Thread starter Thread starter onewhoknows
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 5,723

onewhoknows

Regular
ISP
BSNL
I have moved to Indian from the US and was shocked to see thatthe receiver boxes offered by Dish and Tata Sky have only RCA connections. As you are aware, the RCA video and audio connectors offer the lowest possible quality. New televisions in India offerHDMI inputs/Svideo inputs and it is high time the DTH providersprovide these connectors to the receiver box so we can all enjoythe highest possible quality. What is surprising is the SVideo output is relatively outdated but eventhis connector is not provided.Wake up DTH providers and move with the Time!!!!!

Well US is very ahead, and we here are still in primitive stage, but once people get aware and at same time, competition heats up after entry of new players, we can expect these features, BTW DISH had mentioned about hard disk, recording, (don't know when they will get it)

Why should we blame only the hardware (reciever). Where is the software....i mean where is the high definition programming...come to think of it..we even do not have Stereo audio on any of the TV brodcasts as yet!!

Hehe, as one who has never seen HDTV, i dont know what im missing.DVDs are rare here (i'm told) , the norm is VCD.

Why should we blame only the hardware (reciever). Where is the software....i mean where is the high definition programming...come to think of it..we even do not have Stereo audio on any of the TV brodcasts as yet!!
I think the Hardware is probably the first step as HD is still a premium in the US, EU and Australiasia for free to air channels via Satellite.
Also on the original topic, you can buy other decoders that support a scart or component. Are you limited to the receivers available in India?? Not sure since I am not in India.
Cheers!🙂

yes we r limited to the decoders of the respective brodcasters!! that's another issue!!

Ironically, it is only DD Direct that lets you choose the receiver you want and not the private broadcasters.

APNA DTH Complete product range

Dunno if they have the functionalities you are discussing. But hey, you at least have the illusion of choice!

They offer bigger dishes too....that will reduce the rain fade effect..

Here in India, $$$ is the biggest driver. Does that explain the RCA / S-video outputs?

I can understand about the HDTV part. What i fail to understand is inspite of no HDTV, why SAmsung and Sony in India are reporting huge sales of big screen televisions (with HDTV capabilitiy). Consumers do want HDTV and they atleast expect providers to provide this choice so we candecide for ourselves if want it or not.What is disappointing is even the existing programming content can be made to look better with SVideo and HDMI inputs but even these are not provided by the makers of these receivers For the few folks who do not kow what HDTV is here is a brief note: The normal television we watch every day in India today is broadcast atbetween 230-300 lines of resolution. Just like cars are identified basedon their horsepower, bulbs by they wattage, televisions are recognizedbased on the lines of resolution. HDTV are broadcast at 1080 i lines of resolution which is almost double the quality of DVD's.DVD's in india are typically 500-600 lines of resolution and we are so impressed with their quality. Just imagine how HDTV will look at 1080 lines of resolution. Buring HDTV is not enough, programming needs to be in HDTV and even in the US we only have like 12 channels offering HDTV

As you say, people here in India have very less knowledge (including me!!). The Big screen HDTV compatible TVs etc bought by people is for showOff purposes...(for some, may be watching DVDS at greater resolutions) untill and unless we have knowledge and demand for higher standards how can we expect the money guzzlers (the broadcasters) to even think of providing better services!!

i think getting hdtv channels would be a bit far fetched as of now, as even in other countries its just in the begining phase. what could be done is that atleast make dvd quality standard everywhere. people in the US wouldnt be knowing what a vcd is now!😛 dvd quality is like the least standard norm there. and here we still are amazed by looking at the quality dvds.