Dish DTH to offer free set-top boxes

arifshaikh17

ISP
24 ONLINE
Move aimed at impending entry of Reliance, Bharti services.

The price-war has begun in the direct-to-home (DTH) market with the country's largest DTH company Dish TV — with over 3 million subscribers —getting ready to offer its connection virtually free.

Any consumer who wants to buy a Dish TV connection will not have to pay for the set-top box, the hardware essential to access DTH services and normally costs Rs 2,500.

This move is in anticipation of the launch of services from Reliance Communications' Big TV and Bharti's DTH services and also to take on its competitor Tata Sky, which has now crossed the 2 million subscriber mark.

This step is also expected to add to the monthly losses of Dish TV, currently estimated to be over Rs 450 crore.

According to sources, Dish TV is set to undertake a massive branding exercise centred on a "free Dish TV connection" featuring its brand ambassador Shah Rukh Khan at an estimated budget in excess of Rs 50 crore.

According to the plan, a Dish TV set-top box is likely to come free with every Dish TV connection as the consumers will just have to make an annual one-time payment of Rs 4,000 towards the monthly subscription fees.

Recently, Big TV had announced its DTH connections for its employees at only Rs 1,000 plus the monthly subscription fees of about Rs 300 (see table).

According to industry experts, this move is likely to benefit Dish TV increase its overall DTH market share, from 59 per cent to over 65 per cent, within a month. A free set-top box is likely to increase Dish TV's losses as every DTH company heavily subsidises the cost of its set-top boxes.

A DTH set-top box normally costs Rs 3,200 to Rs 3,500 to the DTH company but is offered to consumers at Rs 1,500 to Rs 2,500.

Click here to read the story
Source- Business Standard

so this is another hint from DTH industry that BIG TV is coming this month end....DISH sources know that launch of BIG TV is imminent that's y they r now giving free set top boxes.......BIG TV is coming this month end....what i assume from this DISH TV move....

😢:wall:Hello Mr.Dish :wall:😢& MR.world of dth😢:wall🙁Loyal to DISH TV) r u listening or what hey u scare of BIG TV.... :hysterical:

What's going on here? Mr. Dish is not here he is on Saveondish.com.Also what's thread doing here in BIg Tv section:wall:

Dish TV is offering its Set Top box FREE. I don't know if there is any catch in that scheme but I saw the advertisement. Its a time for TS to do some serious rethinking.

Dish TV is offering its Set Top box FREE. I don't know if there is any catch in that scheme but I saw the advertisement. Its a time for TS to do some serious rethinking.

Yes, Tata Sky is now seriously thinking about, how to cheat the customers by hiking the price through increasing more Add on Packs.

Yes, Tata Sky is now seriously thinking about, how to cheat the customers by hiking the price through increasing more Add on Packs.

Rightly said :thumbsup:

I think there is sudden outburst against Tata(sky ... this was the case of dishtv before but now it has been an reasonable service of ZEE network

I am not surprised with the mutiple ADD ON PACKS because many people have not recognised that there is the SKY in this service along with the TATA and STAR

1)TS has the same model remote control as that of the SKY service in UK
2) And about the ADD ON PACKS its the replica of SKY service in UK ...
Sky.com - Sky Products>Sky TV>Prices and Packages

There was a reason before for dishtv customers since they have no new channels but now when compared to TS it has reasonable packages

I think there is sudden outburst against Tata(sky ... this was the case of dishtv before but now it has been an reasonable service of ZEE network

I am not surprised with the mutiple ADD ON PACKS because many people have not recognised that there is the SKY in this service along with the TATA and STAR

1)TS has the same model remote control as that of the SKY service in UK
2) And about the ADD ON PACKS its the replica of SKY service in UK ...

There was a reason before for dishtv customers since they have no new channels but now when compared to TS it has reasonable packages

What are we going to benefit with the word "Sky"? If both remotes are same then they deserve to charge more? UK is different and SKY is monoply there. Why we should bother about them? For now TS is costly for many and cheap for few. So this outburst is justified.

What are we going to benefit with the word "Sky"? If both remotes are same then they deserve to charge more? UK is different and SKY is monoply there. Why we should bother about them? For now TS is costly for many and cheap for few. So this outburst is justified.

jUST OBSERVE THE PACKAGE TYPE ON THE SKY WEBSITE JUST IS SIMILAR SCRIPT FOR BOTH TS AND SKY IN UK ... PRICES MAY DIFFER BUT IN GENERAL SKY HAS SPORTS PACKAGE IN UK WHERE IT HAS DIFFERENT SKY SPORTS ... SIMILAR IN TS THEY HAVE PUT ALL THE SPORTS IN ONE PACKAGE

A free set-top box is likely to increase Dish TV's losses as every DTH company heavily subsidises the cost of its set-top boxes.

I'm sure DTH boxes are all MADE IN CHINA. If the quantity is right, Definitely the manufacturing costs can be drastically reduced, while maintaining the build quality.
I know of a friend who got a Mitashi FTA DTH STB+Dish combo for Rs1500 at Lamington and the damn thing is still goin strong after 2 years

Gone are the days when i would not buy a Nokia phone made in China.
Or is the Govt Charging obscene amounts of tax and customs duty on these things?

jUST OBSERVE THE PACKAGE TYPE ON THE SKY WEBSITE JUST IS SIMILAR SCRIPT FOR BOTH TS AND SKY IN UK ... PRICES MAY DIFFER BUT IN GENERAL SKY HAS SPORTS PACKAGE IN UK WHERE IT HAS DIFFERENT SKY SPORTS ... SIMILAR IN TS THEY HAVE PUT ALL THE SPORTS IN ONE PACKAGE

It may be. But why should we pay more for that word "Sky"? In India there is a rule for us to pick and choose. When these things are going to be implemented? Unless people use their brains and not get fooled with the attitude of UK is great and so on these Tata people will never change.

Got freedom long time back but still the colonial thinking :wall:

Some information about how SKY channel packaging worksSKY has there own channels packages for GEC, Movies, News, SPORTS, Variety, International (STAR/FOX), etc. User can select any of these packages and are charged according to package selected. As SKY is only DTH provider in UK, it also provide its TP space for 3rd party channels like Setanta Sports, Sony MAX, ZEE and user has to subscribe these channels seperately by directly contacting these channel providers giving their sub ID. Tata Sky may be planning to implement same formula. Therefore it has packaged new channels seperately and now planning to package all Sport channels. It would be in benefit of customers if price are reduced. Even DISH TV doing somewhat similiar by packaging regional wise. Need to check how BIGTV will package when launched commercially