Discourse.org-Civilized Discussion. On the Internet

• Thread starter Thread starter Sai
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 1,657

Sai

ISP
Tata
Didn't find any thread for this. Liked the concept after spending some time in forums powered by it. UI is confusing at the beginning for people who are used to traditional forum software.

Read more at Discourse

Discourse is the 100% open source discussion platform built for the next decade of the Internet. It works as:

• a mailing list
  • a discussion forum
  • a long-form chat room
Discourse is a from-scratch reboot, an attempt to reimagine what a modern, sustainable, fully open-source Internet discussion platform should be today – both from a technology standpoint and a sociology standpoint.

We're civilized.

Our trust system means that the community builds a natural immune system to defend itself from trolls, bad actors, and spammers – and the most engaged community members can assist in the governance of their community. We put a trash can on every street corner with a simple, low-friction flagging system. Positive behaviors are encouraged through likes and badges. We gently, constantly educate members in a just-in-time manner on the universal rules of civilized discourse.

Uncompromisingly open source.

There is only one version of Discourse – the awesome version. There's no super secret special paid commercial version with better or more complete features.

Everything that most communities would want is included right out of the box; a giant collection of complex plugins should not be required to have a great experience. And because Discourse is 100% open source, now and forever, it belongs to you as much as it belongs to us. That's how community is supposed to work.

Simple. Modern. Fun.

Discussion shouldn't be complicated, confusing, or a chore. Participating in a conversation online should fundamentally feel good in a way that it currently does not on existing forums and mailing lists. It should be fun to jump in and have discussions with other human beings who are passionate about the same stuff as you.

The co-founders of Civilized Discourse Construction Kit, Inc. are Jeff Atwood, Robin Ward, and Sam Saffron. Our core team also includes Neil Lalonde and Régis Hanol, with assistance from our designer Kris Aubuchon and our sysadmin Michael Brown. But as an open source project, Discourse couldn't exist without the hard work of the entire community. Thank you!

We're on a ten year mission to improve the Internet with free, open-source discussion software that raises the level of discourse for the entire world. We've come a long way, but it's still a work in progress, and there's a long way to go.

Looks like a mixture of Muut and Vanilla.

Planning to start a Kannada language community. Will try this. Since this thing is based on Ruby, either dedicated server/cloud is needed. 1GB RAM is minimum.

Now this is probably the go to choice for large/serious communities with almost majority of bigshot communities and brands using it. And the PaaS version provided by Discourse has over 1500 paying customers who pay a minimum of $100 per month. Communities powered by Discourse are fast as f*** compared to everything else available. Remarkable!.

is there any generic community running on discourse? share some links. because i only see it on software project websites.

Their site lists a lot of communities -- Discourse customers

Also, since its open source, you don't necessarily need to use their hosted service and can run it on your own servers too.

I recently came across a forum which uses Discourse.org

Software actually makes it interesting for users to use it.

By giving them points for everything they do. Even reading posts gives you points. (You earned this for doing this, you earned this for doing that)

Gives a "wow" feeling.

But not sure if xenforo database can be migrated.

Discourse is good but it's not good if the forum has a lot of sub-forums.

It's good when you have hardly 5-10 sub-forums. (Small Forum)

But if you have a lot of sub-forums, better use xenforo.

I am not saying that migrate the forum! Because last time there was migration from vbulletin to xenforo I lost 1200 or so likes!!! 😀 :O 😛

Xenforo has trophies for doing tasks. Have it disabled here.

I personally like Flarum over Discourse. Both are not suitable for this forum unless I massively simplify structure.