Disconnected on one LAN port but remain connected on other port

ISP
MTNL
When I got my MTNL connection, the guys came to my house and did the connection using MTNL modem (Sterlite). My net works okay but sometimes it disconnects for 5 mins (maybe once an hour for 2-3 hours) and then reconnects automatically. The ADSL light is on but I cannot access 192.168.1.1 at that time.Last weekend, I connected my laptop to the other LAN port of the modem and ran both machines simultaneously. This time I noticed that when the original connection stopped working, the connection to my laptop was still functional and that too at full speed.Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a possibility there is something done to my settings so that this disconnection happens? If yes, how can I correct it?

If the modem is sam300
see this
https://broadband.forum/mtnl-broadband/43961-mtnl-broadband-connecting-one-more-desktop-sterlite-modem-sam-300ax/3/#post296282

What MTNL Delhi website says . hope this helps.
Quote:
1. Please Note
In this Model Sign Writing of Ethernet /LAN port/LEDs has been wrongly done. Please read LAN4, LAN3, LAN2 & LAN1 as LAN1, LAN2 LAN3 & LAN4 . Therefore various services on different ports will be available /visible as given blow :

LAN1 Broadband Internet
LAN2 VoIP
LAN3 IPTV
LAN4 Broadband Internet

Yes, I have referred to that thread. My desktop is connected to LAN4 (the one which disconnects) and the other machine to LAN1. I just don't understand why when one port disconnects, the other remains active.