• Thread starter Thread starter GeorgePB
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 3,521
Status
Not open for further replies.
ISP
Multiple
I'm a MTNL user who's had to suffer poor service because of two reasons: first, the exchange is very far away from my house, so ADSL attenuation is high and SNR is not that good. Second, for the last 5-6 months, there has been a cable fault in my locality that has introduced a lot of noise in the line. The MTNL babus have no idea when (or even if) it'll be fixed.

Sadly, the only other alternative in my area at the time was my cablewala, whose service is terrible.

A few months ago, Tata Indicom ran fiber optic cabling to my society and put a phone junction box in each wing. Going by the many posts in this forum, I'm inclined to avoid Tata alltogether. However, recently they dropped pamphlets about a Digital Mumbai service, which had these plans.

While there is no mention of a FUP (I'm sure they'll have one), I'm tempted to try this service mainly because the cabling is new (so I'm hoping signal quality will be good).

Has anyone else tried Digital Mumbai? Is Tata too unreliable to even risk it?

If all of their cables are underground and infrastructure is looking solid then there is no harm in trying without making a long term commitment. Avoid paying advance rentals etc.If their cables are hanging on the poles or trees or on the walls of buildings then the service will be unreliable. It all depends on the infrastructure of an ISP.

This thing is not at all reasonably priced. The only good plan amongst all those is the 2 Mbps 1.5 GB during day + night (8 PM to 8 AM) UL @ 1k INR.My advice: Go for this TATA thing and try it for a month or two. This thing is kinda costly, but looks promising.

Update: So I rang the buggers up and they sent a guy home with plans not listed on the website. The signup form had no mention of any FUP and when I asked about it, the salesperson rang up his boss, spoke for a few minutes, then told me that "MTNL has FUL but Tata does not." At that point I knew Tata was full of shit. I looked at the signup form again and it simply said at the bottom "I agree to the terms and conditions." When I asked him for a copy of the terms and conditions (to check for the FUP), he rang his boss again, then told me they would look into it. I asked him if he could tell me who else in my society had Tata, so that I could do some background checks - he rang his boss again and then told me they didn't have the ability to search for customers by address.

Fast forward to a few days later. Another salesperson rings me up and asks me if I was ready to sign up. I told her I still hadn't received a copy of the terms and conditions. At that point, she started arguing with me about how I was the "first customer" who had ever asked them for a copy of the terms and conditions. I asked her "if you sign a loan application at the bank, would you read all the documents before signing or blindly sign your name?" who which she argued some more.

Bottom line: I'd rather stick with MTNL than sign up with these douchebags.

Call up and check if you can get Reliance, enjoying true 1mbps unlimited (no fup crap) for over a couple of months now.

Call up and check if you can get Reliance, enjoying true 1mbps unlimited (no fup crap) for over a couple of months now.

I asked them as well; unfortunately, while they are available in my suburb, they don't serve my society. 🙁

Well then best thing would be to register another complaint with MTNL for noise in the line and hope they fix it soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.