Different RX optical power on different ONTs.

nishantt6969

I got banned!
ISP
Airtel Xstream Fiber (300Mbps)
Router : RPi-4B (OpenWrt), TP-Link A6 (AP)
I have Huawei ont as well as dragonpath ont, the power shown on huawei ont is -20.18dbm and on dragonpath ont is -26.5 dbm. What might be reason behind this difference?

forgot to mention, I have seen power to level -29dbm on dragonpath and at the same time it was -19dbm on Huawei.

I dont see any kind of scratch, cable is fully going inside. The power has decreased to -27dbm, and in Huawei its constant.

@nishantt6969 That socket on the device may be faulty i.e. misaligned or defective...as @JB701 said there's a fibre that connects that optical socket on the router to the mainboard. Also make sure the socket and cable connector have a tight fit with no play. Misalignments can cause signal loss. If it is under warranty get it repaired or replaced.

I am getting dragonpath replaced by sercomm. The ugly looking ONT. Is it very much shit?

No idea man..I am really happy with the Nokia and haven't had a reason to change it. They even offered Dasan for a 1 Gig connection and I said no. The only difference was the Dasan had better wifi radios and I think it was an AC router. I like the Nokias...have 2 of em..Airtel and TPBB. since I use both in bridge mode their wifi capabilities are of no interest to me.

@awemonk what are the problems you have faced in sercomm ONT? I have dragonpath one, and its optical power fluctuates, faulty ONT I guess. So I am getting an option to replace it with sercomm one. I asked the guy to bring Nokia ONT though they say Nokia is out of stock and they are also using same sercomm.