Diesel consumption by private cars is so low that...

• Thread starter Thread starter yessgee
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 5,737
In T Nadu and AP we are already paying 9% first registration Diesel is going to be priced on par with Petrol (like abroad).passenger diesel car prices will come equal to petrol once this happens.Like in Singapore and London and in Europe, Road tax will be introduced and entry tax to enter city centre will be introduced.Odd no regn plate vehicles can drive only on Mon wed,Frid,Sun and Even No On Tue/thursday,saturday,sunday,Week end only driveable cars ( like in singapore ) with less registration charges.Second car in a persons name Double registration charge.If Public transport is improved ( free from Union stronghold) ,every thing can be done.Draconic driving tests and punitive fines will remove lot of bad drivers(and their vehicles) from the road.if nothing is done expect bumper to bumper traffic jam for 4 hours morning and evening rush.Already I can not take the car out of my house in the evening as I live in heart of the city in a commercial area.

improving the public transport is the only viable solution. countries like singapore have excellent public transport from what i have heard from my friend. i mean ever since metro arrived here in gurgaon, i prefer taking it over my car to delhi if i have to go to places which are covered by the metro and the timing suits metro timings as well. until then, i am stuck with my car. i mean... local autos cost 10 bucks per KM... i would be insane to use them instead of my own car which costs me 2-3 rupee per KM.

Environment Compensation Charge? Its funny they even mention it! All these years of collecting taxes and charges and how much have they actually spent to clean up the environment? What percentage of the charges has been used to plant more trees to aid in production of fresh clean air? Nobody talks about that, all they do is add more taxes and charges hoping to deter buyers from buying diesel cars.

Pollution from diesel cars kill 3000 kids per year. Raise taxes! Fewer cars would be sold. Fewer kids would be killed. That would magically make it all acceptable!

I am not sure if that is going to work, most people will pay that extra charge to buy a diesel car, and a diesel car once bought is always very frequently used due to more mileage it gives and also the less cost of fuel, the ideal alternative will be to bring the prices of petrol and diesel at par with each other which has already been stated by someone in this thread before. And as far as pollution is concerned, put a strict law in place so that the taxes and charges collected are used appropriately and entirely for the plantation of more trees, that is the only medicine against pollution.
Now on the other hand, you can raise taxes and all you will be doing is filling the pocket of government.