Did this happen 4 u --->495kb/s

• Thread starter Thread starter maheshomf
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 5,073

maheshomf

It was not a dream when I saw my lap downloading at 490-590kb/s one day..on the jan 14th of 2005 not 2006!How did this happen?I had 64 kbps connection...n one day I left my lap to download in the nite...But the standby setting was set for 15 minutes of idle activity...But without turning this off, i went to bed....The next day....when i saw my lap, IT WAS IN STANDBY....n then i thought nothin would've been downloaded in nite.....To my surprise, when i came out of standby...I usually used to logout and login again...n then my transfer started in flashget....All teh 180 mb that i gave to downld last nite suddenly moved to the DOWNLOADED folder one by one....n i wondered how's this??? I keenly observed the graph which showd more than 400 kb/s and all the files took around 10 mins....19 mb/20mb and all the 10 files that i gave to download was gettting DOWNLOADED WITH THE GREATEST SPEED EVER IN SIFY!!I'm sorry...but i was a new user to the pc and so i didnt know how to take screenshots that time...It was not a dream again......but only the 10 files downloaded like this and this came to the end of the 190mb data...n the usuall crapppy speed 7.84kb/s started again...Is there any setting to be changed to make the pc stop the data flow for the lan when in standby and store it in the cable...n then when coming out of standby, the flow should start as a whole (400kb/s)???? downloading all files....as a sum total bandwidth??I tried to do this again by standbying the lap....but next day it didnt work....Is there any soft to do like this???

i once downloaded like 80 megs in 15 minutes on Sify Broadband. Software glitches i would say. 🙂

If Sify wanted it could give 1 mbps speeds to everyone, it has all the bandwidth at its disposal. But it hoards all that bandwidth and sometimes some of that bandwidth leaks on to us.

isnt there any way i could get more than my normal speed of 30kbps. even i once had got like 200-300 kbps and it was quite shocking.

[sarcasm]getting a higher speed package from ur ISP could perhaps help.[/sarcasm]

I believe that might be due to good caching on their part.So when someone else has got the same files as you once, the next person gets it direct from cache.

Originally posted by Sushubh@Jan 20 2006, 03:59 PM
[sarcasm]getting a higher speed package from ur ISP could perhaps help.[/sarcasm]
[snapback]39893[/snapback]
[/quote]

lol i wish i could, but they dont offer a higher speed than 256kbps which i already have 🙂

anything can happen on sify 🙂 Watch this .. and theres no point of caching in torrents 😉 oh and 174*8 = 1392 kbps

Originally posted by St0le@Jan 20 2006, 06:12 PM
reaaly? that can happen? is it cable internet specific?[snapback]39921[/snapback]
[/quote]Can happen on any internet service, if they use caching.
Basically, most ISPs limit the speed going TOWARDS the user. With sify, looks like they limit the speed at which their gateway server (facing OUTWARDS) can fetch for you. Which is why intra-sify transfers & cached files would be much faster.

Originally posted by power@Jan 20 2006, 06:18 PM
and theres no point of caching in torrents 😉 [snapback]39925[/snapback]
[/quote]Well, have u ever setup a proxy caching server? You CAN cache data packets of all types. And caching torrents too is not pointless - its very well possible that others from your network were also getting autopatcher a while earlier. Its usefulness is undisputed - see how you managed to get the same torrent now at much faster rates.
Whats my proof that you're benefitting from caching? Well, your upload is at a normal value & only your download has shot up - so thats pretty good proof.

no prathapml thats not true bcoz while i was getting this speed .. i had to restart my pc once and after relogging in my speeds were back to 32 down 20up (max) on same torrents and i didnt dload this in one shot first i downloaded 20-30% in daytime at less speed and 50% with this speed and after relogging in i had slow speed again 🙁 BEsides this every sify user would have this kind of expereince before atleast once . My freind got such speeds continuously for 4 days and he downloaded like anything without shutting his pc even once bcoz 150 mb limit wasnt there at that time . Noow that doesnt mean that he was dloading only cached files for whole 4 days . If sify start caching files and giving quickly then it would be really great and if thats the case then i should get windows updates and most common program downloads like firefox/ie 6 at some better speeds but that never happens . Its like if u get good speed then u get it on everything and if u get normal speed then you get normal speed on everything . Its all sify's easter eggs 😛

DOH 

The last time I put up a screenshot of my download speeds, I was banned by Sushubh for "right. showcase on the whole forum what illegal crap ur downloading from the internet!"[/b]

lol funny .. first thing autopatcher isnt illegal and second is i didnt uploaded this image but just put up a link from other site and so the image is not hosted on this server 🙂

lol funny .. first thing autopatcher isnt illegal and second is i didnt uploaded this image but just put up a link from other site and so the image is not hosted on this server[/b]

So did I, but he talked about him allowing the screenshot on the forum something like "supporting" P2P, which is "illegal".