Desktop Linux Shootout :-)

• Thread starter Thread starter vishalrao
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 54
  • Views Views 13,309
it was perhaps the first one to have beryl in a live cd environment 🙂

@netfreakTried it all, didn't work.Ok, after the great *sarcasm* response from the PCLOS forum, I'm going ahead and installing SAM. I used Linux Reader from Windows to back up some files, but I'll have to give up my /home directory after all. Anyway, i don't think it would take me much time to get it all back.

I am doing that now. BTW, something really terrible has happened and I'm in depression. I'll update you soon with the events.The separate home partition is a handicap for me. I'm living on a 80 GB hard disk.

looks like u lost ur data. i suggest use 7.10 beta and become a member of ubuntu forums. people their are nice and helpful. 🙂umm how is that an handicap? u just remove some gigs from root and give it to home?my root is 20 gigs i can easily use a 10 gig root. my home is 10 gig. can easily use a 5 gig home. 😕

looks like u lost ur data

Dude, how do you always know? The SAM Linux partitioner f**ked my partition table. I just split my root into two - a new root and a home. It told me that it is advised to reboot after partition table is modified. I rebooted and poof! All data was gone!🙁 🙁

Meri saalon ki mehnat! Tons of movies, songs, software and other goodies

It calmly showed me 74.3 GB of unallocated space. I was shocked, terrified, petrified.

That is gone now. I've already started working on rebuilding it. BTW, I'm now even more determined to install SAM.

^heh!Pls click a pic of yours right now. I just wanna see your face.(Don't think I'm cruel. You should have heard his sniggers when I had lost all my crucial data back in 2004)And you're still going on installing SAM Linux??Don't you have any "PC moral principles"??If that wud have happened with me, I'd have thrown the CD miles away.

Same shit happened to me, when i was trying to install Linux Mint on my Pen Drive. But it was my fault, as i cudnt understand which partition was which one.

The SAM Linux partitioner f**ked my partition table.

one of the reasons i avoid the smaller less popular distros is they're probably not as widely tested for bugs and the distro team has less resources for developing it.

i don't understand why pclinuxos is at the top on distrowatch. it was thought that this is just a temporary anomaly since it was a new distro, but its still there. i smell a rat, maybe pclinuxos is PAYING distrowatch to rank them higher. like you have google taking money from companies to put their links higher on search results 🙂

^umm...I would think the main reason of PClos being on top of the list is that, unlike Ubuntu, it has made Linux granny-friendly

i don't understand why pclinuxos is at the top on distrowatch. it was thought that this is just a temporary anomaly since it was a new distro, but its still there. i smell a rat, maybe pclinuxos is PAYING distrowatch to rank them higher.
Ahhh this kind of comments will ruin thread and start distro war .. i know atleast one diehard pclinuxos fan here :rofl: .
PclinuxOS got a good ranking at distrowatch bcoz i think they deserve it . It really works better than Ubuntu 6.06 which is latest stable one . Also it was really very easy to get all 3d desktop effects on it without much hassle ( it wasn't case in ubuntu 6.06 ) . I am very sure that Ubuntu 7.10 will beat pclinuxos in distrowatch ratings , i am using 7.10 beta and its perfect 🙂 .

😀 ya dont want to offend pclinuxos fanboy(s) hmm, maybe i should try out pclinuxos at least under vmware see why its numbe 1 🙂doh, the torrent is slow, so getting in console using "wget -t 0 -c blah.iso" hope that will work for resuming/autoresume ...

heh gutsy is going to kick some serious ass... it is so darn good that i am considering shifting to vista 😀