Desktop Linux for small business

netfreak

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Sep 8, 2005
As desktop Linux becomes ever more professional, and with Microsoft still a year away from shipping its new Vista version of Windows, could now be the time to go open-source on the desktop? Of course, circumstances will vary from company to company, but if you're ready to make the move, there's a good crop of Linux distributions ready to accommodate your needs.

What we did

We set ourselves the task of installing and configuring various desktop and notebook systems with five of the leading Linux distributions: Mandriva Linux 2006, Novell Linux Desktop 9, Red Hat Desktop 4, SUSE Linux 10 and Ubuntu Linux 5.10. We then attempted to implement some basic business tools for each distro: connect an email client to Microsoft's Exchange server; print on a networked printer; and set up instant messaging.[/b]

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/0,39023100,39237495,00.htm

prathapml

Mjölnir
Regulars
Aug 27, 2004
Bangalore
Well.In the linux communities of REAL professionals, Ubuntu is looked down upon, as a dumb distro. :)

netfreak

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Sep 8, 2005
Solaris was not open-source, btw. :p

It now is :D

popcorn

Apr 10, 2005
Mumbai
looking at that link i found ubuntu 5.10 is best for small business.what about the best distro for home user?any suggestions?

aniketvb

Linuxguy
Regulars
Oct 2, 2005
well i think Fedora 4 is good for the desktop home users. I have been using it for the past 4 months. If you cut down the server packages and install just the basic packages and multimedia its quite nice. Only thing is that you have to setup multimedia codecs separately from the internet. Its a very stable distro.

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
For home user, Linspire, Lycoris, SuSE and Ubuntu are best.Prathapml, I dont agree that Ubuntu is looked down upon. It's a very good effort and best of all it is inherited from Debian ;)