Delhi Metro Updates

On a personal level, I feel having special compartments is fair provided they are able to provide enough space for men in the general compartments. It does feel bad when the general compartment is chock-o-block full and the other one is fairly empty. About first & last compartments being reserved for ladies is a bad idea for a reason you mentioned before, they tried implementing this over a year ago in chennai, but because of feedback they reversed it back to 2nd & 2nd last compartments for ladies (I think one more in the middle). The first/last coach for ladies change lasted about 2 months I think.- It was a major problem because in some stations the entrance to the platform is at the front or back & the way the train would be standing people need to run 1-2 coaches' distance in any case, this added to 1 more... And often it became a case of more people running & taking more risks to get into the train.. T

well reservation is fine when you have enough trains to cater to the large number of people who are using your services. metros are already jam packed. reserving coaches for women which are usually half empty while the folks in other coaches are jam packed and cannot even breathe properly? insane. you are already short on coach space for the growing population. focus on solving that problem. if the coaches are not chocked, and there is space for everyone, people would spread out evenly. and there would be no problem with eve teasing. this is basically a shortcut of a step that has been taken. since we do not have enough space for people to travel comfortably in metro... just reserve a coach for women so that they are not harassed by men in the general coaches. saves you the hassle of looking at the larger picture.

http://www.readability.com/articles/nse1a3v4
In a bid to ease ticketing and recharge facilities for commuters, Delhi Metro Thursday launched online recharge facility for smart card users.
"With this new facility, commuters will now be able to top up their smart cards using debit or credit cards. However, recharge using net-banking facility is not available yet," a DMRC official said.Metro commuters can top up their smart cards through www.delhimetrorail.com and www.dmrcsmartcard.com.

Finally. 😀 There are few issues I must say. First is that it sends password in plaintext in your mail. 😛issed-off: Secondly, there is no way to check existing balance on a card. Other than that, its nice. Haven't yet recharged and checked. Will try that soon.

It's a smart move, I was anticipating this for some time now 🙂
Would be great if we can check the balance too.

I beat you to it! https://broadband.forum/index.php?/topic/65076-The-Offtopic-Thread#entry669181😛 😛 😛 Me liking this feature too😀

You did not beat me to it. I used the link you shared. And posted it in the correct section with an excerpt. I would say it again... You can start a new thread if you cannot find an existing one.

Okay. I was using Tapatalk beta and was facing problems with searching. When I didn't find any DM thread, I just put it in the offtopic one. I'd thought that a thread existed and wasn't showing up on Tapatalk. Anyways, I'm more interested in these smart machines/kiosks that they're putting up at Barakhamba station.

Their system sucks. You need to go the station and use a machine(AVM) to validate the charge. And not just any station. One out of the 13 designated stations. So if you are in urgent need of some balance, get it recharged the old way. If you don't turn up at the station to validate in 30 days, you get partial refund. (2.5% of the transaction value gets deducted.)
:russianroulette:
Better is to just slip in a 100rs note at any station and get it topped up. Should have done that. Lost 100rs in the process.

Righto. Validation is stupid. Indian government has already put so many verifications to only payments that an additional parameter is just stupid.

Forgot to add one more beautiful requirement. It can take upto 24 hours before the recharge shows up in their system. I am guessing that means you can visit the station to validate 24 hours after you have completed the transaction. Now I missed the recharge page where this was mentioned so can't copy the exact words.

When I recharge my DG Expressway card, it also takes a couple of hours to appear in their systems. So I tend to recharge when I have a balance of around 100 bucks. Not a big issue considering I rarely visit Delhi these days. Most of the visits are to fucking manesar (mcdonalds past midnight) which costs me 56 rupees both ways.

Lame. Why is it so difficult in a country where every next person is a software engineer we can't have a decent online system as far as travelling is concerned? Shame on us. Sigh, the old ways are still better.

Today I was recharging my Delhi Metro smartcard online, but after I recharged I got an error "Transaction Failed", but the money was still debited from my account as I confirmed from SMS confirmation message from HDFC. Can anyone please help? I recharged twice with 950 Rs as it was always showing transaction failed error, and I wasn't aware that the money has actually been debited from my account. I checked and validated my smart card, but the value hasn't been added. Please help