• Thread starter Thread starter Daddycool
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 30
  • Views Views 17,780

Daddycool

Regular
ISP
MTNL
Hope I am posting this in the right section.My daughter is flying in from Doha, Qatar. Normally she comes directly from Doha to Mumbai but this time, because of the timing of flight options, she cannot do that. So she has opted to fly Doha-Delhi-Mumbai.I haven't been to Delhi in ages and I know there are a lot of changes at the airport there now.My question is - are the international and domestic terminals different and how does she have to go from the international terminal to the domestic.Note that she is not on a single ticket all the way through and will need to pass through immigration, customs and then queue up for a fresh boarding pass. Implying that she will not have her checked in luggage automatically transferred from one aircraft to the other.

Everything will happen in Terminal 3. It caters International as well as domestic flights.

Actually she may need to board the flight from T1D if she is opting for Goair, Indigo and Spicejet ..Else she can board from T3 ...

oh man i had no idea we had folks here with kids old enough to travel alone.

Actually she may need to board the flight from T1D if she is opting for Goair, Indigo and Spicejet ..
Else she can board from T3 ...
At this time the primary choice is Jet with Kingfisher and Air India as options 2 and 3. Her flight from Doha is expected to land at 8 AM. So what is a safe time for choosing her flight to fly Delhi-Mumbai taking time for her immigration, baggage claim and customs and check-in to the domestic flt?
And I take it that she does not have to transfer from one terminal to another?
oh man i had no idea we had folks here with kids old enough to travel alone.
I am probably your oldest member. And this is my younger daughter who flies with Qatar Airways. I have an older one too who I reckon is older than at least half the members on IBF. So that's how old I am. Ancient, falling apart, held together by cholestrol, blood sugar, etc.
Sorry that last part is not true. 😀

She wouldn't have to change terminals. But she has to be prepared to walk like really long distances. However, there are travelators to make things easier. Immigration also should not take long, unless there are goods to be declared and stuff. I haven't ever done a connect flight with immigration in India, but based on my experience abroad in super efficient conditions, a 4 hour gap is usually preferable, if not comfortable. 30 mins to get out of flight and collecting baggage, 20 minutes for immigration, 15 mins break, 30 mins transfer, and 1 hour prior check-in. That's 2:30 assuming there is no hold up. Always good to have a buffer even if that means waiting a bit longer

She wouldn't have to change terminals. But she has to be prepared to walk like really long distances. However, there are travelators to make things easier. Immigration also should not take long, unless there are goods to be declared and stuff.

I haven't ever done a connect flight with immigration in India, but based on my experience abroad in super efficient conditions, a 4 hour gap is usually preferable, if not comfortable. 30 mins to get out of flight and collecting baggage, 20 minutes for immigration, 15 mins break, 30 mins transfer, and 1 hour prior check-in. That's 2:30 assuming there is no hold up. Always good to have a buffer even if that means waiting a bit longer
Thanks. Conditions here are far from super efficient but I plan to have a gap of 3:45 between ETA of arriving flt and ETD of departing one. Customs shouldn't be an issue because she usually returns with empty bags and goes back loaded with food. 🙂

Another thing that usually helps if the connecting flights are of the same airline or a partner's - not those sharing the miles ones, but logistic partners. In case of any delay in the outbound flight, they would be more considerate in accomodating into the next one

Why doesn't she just take a direct flight to Mumbai.Taking Air India from Doha connecting to Mumbai is super easy. All formalities will be carried out in Mumbai

"Bon Voyage" from IBF members... 🙂 By the way, I admire daddycool's dedication. I still have some years to reach 40 and already thinking of using the accessibility tools. 🙂 . Dont know whether I will be interested in these discussion topics when I am there. By the by, I see an opportunity for an Indian Ramayan Forum 🙂

Why doesn't she just take a direct flight to Mumbai.Taking Air India from Doha connecting to Mumbai is super easy. All formalities will be carried out in Mumbai
I have already mentioned that it is what she normally does. This time it is not viable and I did not elaborate on it before but here's why. She is flying in to Doha from Manila that night and by the time she reaches Doha, she would have missed all the direct flight options to Mumbai by Qatar Airways, Jet or Air India (not daily flt). She would have to wait for the next day and she can't afford to do that as she is registered for a seminar in Mumbai the next evening. Since she has only 4 days of gap before joining duty, she can't afford to lose out a full day by waiting for the next days flts.

Delhi is a very confusing city....

Only if you use Jaipur City Map to travel here 😛

"Bon Voyage" from IBF members... 🙂
By the way, I admire daddycool's dedication. I still have some years to reach 40 and already thinking of using the accessibility tools. 🙂 . Dont know whether I will be interested in these discussion topics when I am there. By the by, I see an opportunity for an Indian Ramayan Forum 🙂
Thanks.
I have very little interaction with ppl of my age. Most of it is with people half my age both at work as well as in my social work/life. So I have no choice. Fit in or ship out. 😀
Interaction with my daughters growing up helped as well but with them having both moved out of the country all during the course of the second half of 2010, the struggle might just be starting.