The Offtopic Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter vikikivi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12,184
  • Views Views 1,299,005
good news? for whom? you?

get airtel's 300 mbps plan then 😀

good news? for whom? you?

Good news for anyone who knows about Airtel FTTH. Better customer care. Better routing. Better ping times to international gateways. Almost zero issues after the initial setup. No double NAT. Less snooping. Less banned sites. Less downtime.

100mbps is a sweat-spot for most businesses and ISPs, due to the hardware limitations. Even a hardware that is 10 years old can support 100mbps. To go beyond 100mbps, one must need latest hardware that can support higher speeds. This can increase the cost on businesses (and home users). When a business or a home user doesn't get more 100mbps on a connection that offers more than 100mbps, it can create conflicts of interests, especially when the user / business doesn't understand what it requires to get the full speed.

That's why Jio advertises only 100mbps for now, even though it can offer higher speeds. It'd offer more than 100mbps only after a couple of years of stabilizing the launch phase.

Is there any way to know if they will be expanding to new cities? I have asked them on twitter but i get the usual generic reply.

I wish it was good news for me as well. I followed up with Airtel on Twitter and later by Calling. They said FTTH is not available in my place (near Pune).
Spoke with Idea Broadband who has Wireless broadband but not FTTH at my place, they said they would soon upgrade Wireless network to FTTH.
But it seems JIO would win race over Airtel/Idea, and I would have to go for it.