• Thread starter Thread starter Raditz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 4,347

Raditz

Regular
ISP
Bsnl
S.K. Gupta, Advisor (CN & IT), TRAI, has said the definition of broadband will be modified to include only those services that offer access speeds of 512 kbps from January 1, 2011. “This will be further upgraded to 2 Mbps network speeds from January 1, 2015. A comprehensive regulation on Quality of Service is also in the pipeline.”
Many broadband packages fail to deliver even 80 per cent of advertised speeds, says a study
From the Indian packages tested, BSNL's 256 kbps (offered in Chennai) in fact, delivered speeds , higher than what was promised. All other Indian packages tested, failed to deliver at a minimum, what was promised to their customers.

Nicely written article with detailed summary on current BB status and comparison between different service providers in India

Code:
http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/technology/article946417.ece
The paper edition of the HINDU dt. 12/12/10 has a well detailed table with detailed analysis on basis of packet loss, Jitter and Delivered v/. Advertised speeds.

Oh why they want to increase it by so much. It should be2011 - 384 kbps 2015 - 512 kbps 2020 - 768 kbps 2025 - 1 mbps2050 - 2 mbps 2100 - 4 mbps & so on.Not sure, why they want to define broadband as so high - 2 mbps by 2015 itself, 2050 is more an apt time.

^^ Frustrated guy lol I was hoping it to be 1mbps by 2011 well expected too much i guess .
The worst case of non-compliance was Airtel's 2 Mbps plan in Mumbai, which did not deliver even 20 per cent of what it promised. Airtel has refused to comment on the results of any “independent study.”

I did not expect it to be this low 20% thats damn less .

512kbps would be fine today if they decide to upgrade the limit every six months!

Its not frustration. I am just sarcastic over this farce - there is no point in doing this.

why don't they review the speeds every 6months or 1 year. I guess these definiitions of 256-512 kbps are being put forwardby TRAi, because deep down inside TRAI also knows that even with 512 kbps they are definitely going to fail with this new broadband policy2010 as they did with the broadbandband policy of 2004. The target of 160 millions by 2014 is too big to be achieved if they are too hesitated to touch the topics of high International bandwidth prices irrespective of too much supply. TRAI has more often than not is becoming an opinion giver like us people than being the merket regulator it is supposed to be. Can't understand if in 2013 fiber is going to be placed in most part of the country then what is the need of declaring that 2 mbps is going to be broadband definition from 1 Jan,2015. Then could have not made any commnets about future and said the definitions will be reviewed yearwise or when needed. What is the point of laying a fiber optic cable that is capable of providing 10Gbps even with the equipment available in 2010(forget about 2015) & just running 2Mbps speed across it. Even with my ADSl 2+ modem the attainable speed is 18mbps most of the time & i am living almost 3-4 Kms from the TEL. Exchange(My landline phone is 13 years old & never got my copper wire changed). Why are they saying These copper/DSl line are only capacble of handling 2 mbps over 3 Kms only. They have already give the ISP an easy walkaway to stuck at 512kbps for another 5 years.At many a times i get a point from many people that definition doesn't restrict anyone/ISPs from offering more speeds. Then why is every private ISP & even BSNl still putting FUPs of 256kbps only - why are they not giving 512kbps or 1mbps or 50% of original speed of the plan post FUP limit. They have an easy excuse "the broadband definition of TRAI says..................." & thats it. One thing is clear that every ISP is just going to offer unlimited plans just of that speed which is sufficient enough to call it a broadband.I am not against FUP as these are helpful for many who don't download heavily, but my point is why not every ISP offer an unlimited plan without FUP of every speed slab priced at higher than the FUP carrying plan. But there should be an unlimited plan for say 1mbps, 2mbps, 4mbps, or 8mbps etc...., price them more than the plans carryinf FUPs. But atleast those downloading heavily will be having an option & also the more/differential price they are paying above the FUP plan can be used to upgrade the network equipment/capacity.One thing is for sure living in INDIA & having the real experience of fast Broadband speeds at reasonable prices is not going to happen for next 5-8 years or may be NEVER!!!!

^^ Frustrated guy lol I was hoping it to be 1mbps by 2011 well expected too much i guess .

I did not expect it to be this low 20% thats damn less .

Hahaha!
I told you it would be 512 K 😛 😛

Those of us who have heard the taped conversations of Ratan Tata and former telecom minister A. Raja etc. on the website of Outlook magazine or read the transcripts must be aware that our lawmakers don't make the laws in India.We must remember that rules that telecom companies in India have to follow are made by telecom companies themselves or should I say the rules are determined by quantum of bribes received by ministers of UPA government.Don't be surprised if 2015 timeline is delayed by a few years to help certain companies milk the customers for a few more years, just like it has happened in case of mobile number portability.

MTNL double my speed to 1 mbps then I don't mind 512 kbps being called as broadband 😛 !And maybe 2 mbps @ Rs. 600 2 years from now.