debit card or netbanking for online transactions?

• Thread starter Thread starter prakash_mvpa
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 4,672

prakash_mvpa

Regulars
ISP
BSNL
I have had a icici netbanking a/c( had purchased online through ebay using that a/c) which was closed long back. and now don't recollect much.My question is, I have a netbanking a/c and debit card along with it of a different bank. Is there any advantage buying using debit card(mastercard)? which one works more secure and does not reveal much of your details/bank a/c info.tia+

Now a days most of the netbanking are secured. I have been using HDFC & Citibank for online purchasing and they are very secure.

I havent come across any benefits in terms of reward points or discounts by using netbanking.

i would say both are equally secure coz i need to enter a password linked to Visa debit card when i pay with it and i need to enter OTP or one time pwd received on my phone whenever i pay with net-banking

but, debit card is issued for the a/c and the tie-up(mastercard,visa etc) does the job of securing it while neft involves direct attachment of your a/c . I am telling the outline I got regarding the working of these two? so, if above is true, debit card is better securing your a/c and privacy as well?

Trust me India has most secure net banking and online transaction services than in USA. I have used debit/credit card over internet for lot of transaction, The system they following with 3d pin, transaction password, IS TOOOOO much security, and ICICI has not just safe but CRUEL very CRUEL security whats with pin and complicated IVR system to change the password and all. ( in fact I hate ICICI for their IVR and security system)

----------

as far using debit/credit card online the most secure thing is As soon as it get swiped you get an SMS on your registered mobile, so if any one else than you using it then You know its FISHY!!!

Just don't use your CC on sites you don't deem to trust.ebayletsbuyflipkartare all ok.Small sites which don't have a strong backbone, may get hacked with your CC details getting dumped as they might store your CC info in database.

^ thats why i said netbanking is safer as in netbanking you login to bank website to make payment & the info is stored by the bank and not sites/ payment gateway

thats why when you are transcating see if theer is https: in address bar or if you are using chrome simple indication that address bar right hand side goes light green in color.

Most sites use payment gateways like CCavenue/Bill Desk etc. so its safe. I avoid sites where I have to give CC info to the site directly.

never!!! do that, and for ebay and wherver possible use paypal ( however I would not do it in India since they ask for PAN number and all)