• Thread starter Thread starter pkgaran
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 15,240

pkgaran

ISP
Bsnl
EXPANSION OF DTH SERVICE

During the year, initiative has been taken to expand the DD bouquet of Free-to-Air Direct-To-Home Service ‘DD Direct +’, to include nearly 200 channels (up from the earlier package of 59 channels). Now six private companies are offering DTH services in the country – M/s Bharat Business Channel Ltd having started their operations during July 2009.

SOURCE : PIB Press Release

Thanks for the Info and source . Hope DD moves on to Mpeg4 and broadcast Full HD News and comenwealth games

We have been hearing this for a long time now that DD Direct+ will increase their no of chs. But nothing has happened till now.

Hope DD people would bring something really attractive for it's customers soon.

@jdjain1,And DD would take another 10 years to upgrade to MPEG-4.

DD is doing for service to the people, not to make money from people. DD is doing for great Job to reach the channels to Rural India. It's serving for nation. We have to accept the truth and it's reality. DD Direct Plus is Free to Access, One and only service provider in the world - DTH kind of business. DD Direct Plus has large volume and leading DTH player in India. They can't do change the the MPEGAV2 to MPEGAV4 just like that. Since all the customers need to change the setup box with stipulated time. DD has to addressed this issues to rural area, which is very tough task for them. DD will take more time for converting to mpegav4 format.

@jdjain1,I may be right as well. Just look at Sky in the UK. Their FTA DTH service has HD chs on board...!!

Minister for Information and Broadcasting Ms.Ambika Soni Press Report

New Delhi, Jan 16 (PTI) With an eye on expanding its DTH service DD Direct Plus, Doordarshan is in talks with several private television channels for including them in its ambit.

"Currently there are 59 free to air channels on DD Direct Plus... Doordarshan and Prasar Bharati officials are busy working out the modalities of this arrangement and they have also given me presentations.

"The idea is to ensure that around 200 channels are shown free to air in the country. We are working in this direction," Minister for Information and Broadcasting Ambika Soni told PTI here today.

DD Direct Plus is the country's only free to air direct to home (DTH) service run by Prasar Bharati that provides satellite channels and audio programming.

It also telecasts a bouquet of All India Radio channels out of its total 59 channels.

Source: fullstory

@cool25": If dd do this in Bharat , then there is no bandwidth to provide other channel , because one HD Channel = 4 SD channel

DD is doing for service to the people, not to make money from people. DD is doing for great Job to reach the channels to Rural India. It's serving for nation.

We have to accept the truth and it's reality.

[COLOR=\\"Red\\"]DD Direct Plus is Free to Access, One and only service provider in the world - DTH kind of business.[/COLOR]

DD Direct Plus has large volume and leading DTH player in India.
They can't do change the the MPEGAV2 to MPEGAV4 just like that. Since all the customers need to change the setup box with stipulated time. DD has to addressed this issues to rural area, which is very tough task for them.

DD will take more time for converting to mpegav4 format.
DD+ is having most number of users, but its not the only FTA DTH in the world. Freesat UK (freesat - Digital satellite TV with free HD for the whole UK) is also FTA DTH service. (though UK citizens pay annual TV license fee which funds BBC & people can enjoy FTA channels from Terrestial & satellite.

@jdjain1,

I may be right as well. Just look at Sky in the UK. Their FTA DTH service has HD chs on board...!!

Its not Sky, but its Freesat (Free HD TV - High Definition TV - freesat) which provides free HD channels. Sky charges huge amount for HD channels.

@SVK, Thanks for correcting me. I got confused with the DTH service in UK.@jdjain1,Thats why I said that DD will take a huge amt of time to shift to MPEG-4.