DD channels dropped

ISP
TATA Sky
I was shocked to see some DD channels like DD-5 Podhigai been dropped without notice.
When i contact the Tata Sky they said some DD channels were dropped and new were added with same price.
Later i got a call saying that many people have complaint regarding this and the management will soon take notice and solve the issue.
You see i have been subscribed to 'South Value Pack' and being a Tamilian living in South india I'm not able to view a TAMIL channel.?!?!?!?

You are not able to view Podhigai, but there are other channels aren't there? Tata Sky faces natural limitations on the number of channels it can carry since it only has 12 ku-band transponders available on one satellite, and providing most channels at DVD quality (not quite) eats up a lot of bandwidth. Unless it can ramp up capacity- fast, it will have to keep resorting to such band-aid jobs, or stop talking about DVD quality and increase the compression ratio. The tipping point has been reached - if TS does not get its act together, it will sink.For those who live in southern states, or states with a distinct language, cable seems to be the best option because the cable operator can provide more regional channels than any particular DTH operator does, purely because of the concentrated nature of the audience. People like me (giving an example, I don't watch any Tamil channels), who live outside TN, particularly in areas with hardly any Tamils around generally make do with one-two Tamil channels on analog cable, and a couple more if we opt for digital. But there it ends. For us, DTH is a better proposition compared to cable.I can only attribute this mess to teething troubles. When all major players settle down and have two-three satellites each, then, probably they will pay heed to what the customer actually wants instead of relying on the results of stupid surveys conducted by god-knows-who.

You are not able to view Podhigai, but there are other channels aren't there?

That is not the issue ! We buy the connection by seeing the channel provided by them. After we buy the service and with in a month few channels we need the most disappears, what to do ?

as i mentioned many places, i got dishtv by seeing very few channels precisely four or five. Indiavision, NDTV, AajTak, HeadlinesToday and AmritaTV.. two were my regional channel (which i dont get thru cable operator in my area (bangalore). So with in a week they took of HeadlinesToday.. Later Indiavision (the best malayalam news channel) ! Yes, i have another news channel. I shouldnt have bought this if those channels weren't there on their platform. It is not because of transponders. They ask the channels a carriage fee of 4-5 crores after an year or two. If they are not able to give that, then the channel goes off from their platform. Initially they beg the channel people to broadcast on their platform to get customers as much as possible. they will give advt with that. later once they get large number of regional business, they start asking crores. This is what happened with Indiavision, as i have talked to the MD of Indiavision.

For those who live in southern states, or states with a distinct language, cable seems to be the best option because the cable operator can provide more regional channels than any particular DTH operator does, purely because of the concentrated nature of the audience.
In bangalore, all are there... Keralites, Tamilians, Telugus.. and people from north too..

So, cable people wont be able to give all channels.. and clarity wont be good too.. they charge 150 though..

So by paying 350, we should get atleast the channel we need right? otherwise what is the use of buying for 4000 ? (we never thought channels will keep going off like this when we got )!

you pay 350 and watch the channel which we give.. that is the policy
of DTH providers these days !!

You are not able to view Podhigai, but there are other channels aren't there? Tata Sky faces natural limitations on the number of channels it can carry since it only has 12 ku-band transponders available on one satellite, and providing most channels at DVD quality (not quite) eats up a lot of bandwidth. Unless it can ramp up capacity- fast, it will have to keep resorting to such band-aid jobs, or stop talking about DVD quality and increase the compression ratio. The tipping point has been reached - if TS does not get its act together, it will sink.

For those who live in southern states, or states with a distinct language, cable seems to be the best option because the cable operator can provide more regional channels than any particular DTH operator does, purely because of the concentrated nature of the audience. People like me (giving an example, I don't watch any Tamil channels), who live outside TN, particularly in areas with hardly any Tamils around generally make do with one-two Tamil channels on analog cable, and a couple more if we opt for digital. But there it ends. For us, DTH is a better proposition compared to cable.

I can only attribute this mess to teething troubles. When all major players settle down and have two-three satellites each, then, probably they will pay heed to what the customer actually wants instead of relying on the results of stupid surveys conducted by god-knows-who.

Well put!! I have been thinking about the ‘band-aid’ issue (liked that one🙂) also, and have reached a similar (but not the same) conclusion. Where I differ is that I don't really see any advantage in going for DTH over digital cable – with the stipulation that the cable operator is good and is providing reasonable service. In the foreseeable future, digital cable will always turn out to be better as there is no bandwidth problem (as of now), it turns out to be relatively cheaper (with multiple connections at least) and one can, if one wishes to, go in for internet connection with the same service provider.

Bandwidth issue?!Then why didn't they drop one of there?!DD Podhigai is very popular among Tamil speaking people and definetly has more viwers than these channels.DD Punjabi DD Gujarati DD Chandana DD MarathiDD Bangla DD Malayalam DD NE DD Oriya DD KashirDD Urdu DD Bharti

Bandwidth issue?!Then why didn't they drop one of there?!DD Podhigai is very popular among Tamil speaking people and definetly has more viwers than these channels.

DD Punjabi DD Gujarati DD Chandana DD Marathi
DD Bangla DD Malayalam DD NE DD Oriya DD Kashir
DD Urdu DD Bharti

How do you know it has more viewers than others is there any study TRP available ?

There needs to be something done about the bandwidth issue..All i can think off is that all providers shake hands and get some of the popular channels, or the common channels on their platform on a common satellite, say all DD, star and zee channels get beamed from a single satellite..If tata is able to get some international channels or is running some exclusive channels they can beam them from their own satellite.. Thats the only way to get all the channels, With 100's of channels broadcasted in India, it is impossible to keep everyone happy :redface:

Bandwidth issue?!Then why didn't they drop one of there?!DD Podhigai is very popular among Tamil speaking people and definetly has more viwers than these channels.

DD Urdu DD Bharti

How do you know these channels are not popular enough?
Dont presume to much...
i can say for DD bangla that its very popular and not many channels are there for bengali audiance if the count is compared with that of south indian channels...

DD Urdu DD Bharti

You are right. The reason for removal is they won't get carriage fees from DD. It is as simple as that. Same is applicable to other channels too. Most members here are not so technical or been able to understand the economics :wall: If they have understood they could have known why Nepali channel and nearly 20 active service is there.

There needs to be something done about the bandwidth issue..
All i can think off is that all providers shake hands and get some of the popular channels, or the common channels on their platform on a common satellite, say all DD, star and zee channels get beamed from a single satellite..

I think thats what HITS is for. i dont know in detail though. and rights for it is bagged by zee/dish!

on little bit reading, i guess its on C band, so common satellite for cable operators.

Well I think Tata Sky should removed DD Gujarati, Not popular in Gujarat even we have 3 Gujarati channels and people doesn't spend much time to see it. Most of us follow Hindi channels.🙂

DD Urdu DD Bharti
Considering channels per language, I guess Tata Sky may be allocating some number of channels per language. Then they may be picking top 3/5 channels per language. Now where does Podhigai stand in ranks of SUN, JAYA, RAJ, VIJAY, etc.
In other language cases (like Marathi/Gujarti/Bangla/Urdu), there are only 2-3 channels including DD, so DD channels are available for these languages.
Although I am not defending decision to drop DD Tamil, and hope for TATASKY comes up with solution for more TP space sooner or efficient compression technology to accomodate channels

Considering channels per language, I guess Tata Sky may be allocating some number of channels per language. Then they may be picking top 3/5 channels per language. Now where does Podhigai stand in ranks of SUN, JAYA, RAJ, VIJAY, etc.
In other language cases (like Marathi/Gujarti/Bangla/Urdu), there are only 2-3 channels including DD, so DD channels are available for these languages.
Although I am not defending decision to drop DD Tamil, and hope for TATASKY comes up with solution for more TP space sooner or efficient compression technology to accomodate channels

Dear Kedarisv from when Tatasky started showing Raj tv? So you all try to justify the Tatasky move in dropping a Tamil channel? In that case why they didn't remove Podhigai this long? They could have dropped it when they added Kalingar tv.

Dear Kedarisv from when Tata Sky started showing Raj tv? So you all try to justify the Tatasky move in dropping a Tamil channel? In that case why they didn't remove Podhigai this long? They could have dropped it when they added Kalingar tv.
I know that RAJ TV is not there in TATASKY, I only asked where DD Podhigai ranks in TAMIL channels. I also said "Although I am not defending decision to drop DD Tamil" & I would also have similiar feeling if DD Sahyadri (Marathi) was dropped.
About Why they removed DD Podhigai (& DD Sapthgiri) only TATASKY can answer 😕

bandwidth , :rofl::hysterical: they are wasting what they have. They have put 2 channels for NGC, Discovery, History, cartoon channels. They put 2 channels as there is multi audio option. I dont know why did they do like this. Even Dishtv has multi audio option but they use one channel only. just go to this site and check how many double channels you find and also who needs their useless active services, throw them in seperate package.

check this. INSAT 3B,4A - India (83.0E) Last Chart Update: 2008-05-29, 09:46