Datafox: BSNL Broadband Bandwidth Monitoring Extension For Firefox

they still make new posts. and they specifically target the tata indicom section. have turned on moderation there. need to go there and make the actual posts visible. 😛

Revenge of the bots B)

OMG !!! spam bot attacks !! ....take cover....!! :lol:Sergent Sushubh...we need more ammunitions and reenforcement. 😛

Great job! Worked great 🙂 but I am afraid about security coz I am putting my username and password into this... 😱

I get a red X mark next to the datafox icon bottom right occasionally when i try to log in. What should i do to avoid this?

There are several reasons which could cause DataFox to display an error marker:

1) Network not ready / error when DataFox attempts to connect
This is probably the most common reason; for instance, my computer connects on demand, if DataFox itself is the first to make that demand and the time interval between the request for connection and actual connection establishment is too long, DataFox will time out. I'll see if there is anything I can do to improve this behaviour.

2) BSNL server not responding / returning bad data
Sometimes the server DataFox polls will not respond or simply respond with an error message, I have seen this happen - you can double check this by visiting the server in question in IE.
Sometimes sancharnet.in will not redirect you, or will redirect you to a bad/slow server. Here you could override the redirect and specify the IP address of a server which you know is both fast and reliable.

3) Bug in DataFox or BSNL changed it's output format
I haven't come across this sort of bug in DataFox yet, but who knows 🙂
In case you rule out #1 and #2 above, but DataFox still shows you an error marker, it's possible that BSNL has changed the format of it's output. At this point DataFox will fail for everyone (including myself) and I'll work on getting an updated version out asap as if my chuddies were on fire 😉

Brian.

Am new to editing wiki, so plz. give a hint on what needs to be updated!

^ as you are interested in this Datafox extension , it would be nice if you could write a review on Datafox at the wiki !

QUOTE(oldtimer @ Mar 6 2007, 11:24 AM) [snapback]82277[/snapback]
Am new to editing wiki, so plz. give a hint on what needs to be updated![/b]

Yes, you could write a review, or a help manual, a bug list, or easter eggs (if any).

easter eggs 😀we can make a feature request to add some to the developer!

Very nice, it'll probably take me more time to write the Easter Egg than the features which are actually important! DataFox - no Fluff, just Stuff 😉But if anyone is interested, the next version will allow you use a limited amount of JavaScript to control the text displayed in the status area and the tooltip...maybe someone can get creative with that...

at present , I feel that Datafox should not automatically login to Dataone portal . There could be a login option .( I start firefox first and later connect to the net . Meanwhile ,Datafox tries to connect to the portal and error is shown ...)And we should be able to check more than a single account withremembered passwords . ( I use both my home account andoffice account ... )

Seshu,
at present , I feel that Datafox should not automatically login to Dataone portal . [/b]
Agreed, the automatic login is a preference in the version of DataFox under development.

And we should be able to check more than a single account with remembered passwords .[/b]
This is possible in the currently released version of DataFox (the first version). Choose "Logout" and then Update, where it will ask you for your username and password, it already does remember passwords for multiple users (you need shift focus from the user name field for the stored password, if any to be placed into the password field - usually pressing Tab will do). As long as you can check the usage for an account in the browser (presumably IE), you will be able to check usage for that account in DataFox. If you find something amiss here, do let me know so I can correct it before I ship the next version.

I was going to release an update today - however, after a long chat conversation with Apoorv, I realized I need to make a few changes with how DataFox handles MTNL Delhi accounts 🙁 So will be another day at least. I'm going to release a beta version first to the forum for testing and the final "upgrade" this weekend. Stay tuned and keep those suggestions coming!

Brian.