datacard

ISP
bsnl
I live in powai area in mumbai.. i hav brought a Compaq laptop recently and want to purchase a data card for it... i want to know which is the best card available as for now in mumbai.... which is compatible with my laptop ans and also will hav full range in powai i need it for downloading (mostly work related stuff but sumtimes even movies i use torrents) plz tell me the best suited data card for me....i hav checked airtel\vodafone\reliance\tata on all forums but all of them hav complaints with each one of them (mostly slow connectivity..) no satisfactory ans anywer..plz help methank u

All telcos have spectrum problems in crowded areas. Though they all claim high speeds, those are more like the theoretical maximum. You never get those speeds. If you need high b/w, go for DSL or other broadband.hth

All telcos have spectrum problems in crowded areas. Though they all claim high speeds, those are more like the theoretical maximum. You never get those speeds. If you need high b/w, go for DSL or other broadband.

hth
Thanks for the info i guesses so but still i'm not able to decide wat data card to go for every data card in everyother form says is crap and waste of money... i'm totally confused i dunno wat to go for can u plz help me

Simple: If you really need good b/w don't go for a datacard! If mobility is very important, go for a datacard (offhand i'd say tata indi since their subscriber base may be lesser) but live with the lesser bandwidth.

Simple: If you really need good b/w don't go for a datacard! If mobility is very important, go for a datacard (offhand i'd say tata indi since their subscriber base may be lesser) but live with the lesser bandwidth.

Actually i want a data card and also good bandwidth... is both not possible????? Y??? cant i get a data card wid good speed... if i'm spendin for instrument and all i would want to spend on sumthin worth....

If you are sure you want to go for a datacard and not BB, then go for AirTel/Reliance as they have better coverage. Speed may be higher with AirTel if your area is EDGE enabled than Reliance.

If you are sure you want to go for a datacard and not BB, then go for AirTel/Reliance as they have better coverage. Speed may be higher with AirTel if your area is EDGE enabled than Reliance.

Oh ok thanks aaaa lot but how do i knw if my area is EDGE enabled???? Do u think airtel is good enough i was thinkin abt airtel untill i read its review on mouthshut ..infact i read reviews abt all the service providers ie reliance\tata\airtel.. everyone says they r waste of money.. do u knw anythin abt MTNL wireless data card is it available here????

There will be problems with all these providers.... It depends on how well you can make them work for you. 🙂 To know if your area is EDGE enabled or not you can directly contact AirTel cc or check a mobile with EDGE to see whether it shows 'E' or similar symbol.

Before going in for Airtel, just use a friends Airtel phone SIM card to make sure that your house always has a Full signal strength. If it has, then you have to only worry about the network congestion.I've gone in for Airtel Wireless 999 Unlimited plan (USB which works the same as a Datacard) last week without realizing that you need a full signal strength first. My actual download speed always fluctuates between 9 kbps to 39 kbps every second. Sometimes it goes up to 105 kbps & back to 9 kbps irrespective whether it is 3pm or 3am. Every 2 hours I loose the GRPS connection and the signal for a few minutes. The signal strength in my hall is 2 or 3 bars. In the balcony it is 3 bars and when moved 2 feet to the balcony rail, the signal strength is full. The Customer Care said they'll exchange the current postpaid SIM for a Gold SIM card to sort out the signal problem.