Data Transfer when not browsing

• Thread starter Thread starter vijay911
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 6
  • Views Views 2,093

vijay911

Hello,I wish to know if there would be any data transfer, which would cost me, when I am not browsing or downloading, that is when I am just online and the connection is idle.Also, to protect our computers while not online, how do we disconnect? Is it recommended that we physically disconnect the wires?Please suggest some good firewalls, and tell me how are they different from Norton, PC Cillin, McAfee etc.,Thank you.

Yea there would be data transfer if the connection is idle; though the data transfer is very small. The data transfer can be large if your computer is infected with trojan or some other kind of malware. So, it is recommended to disconnect the connection when not in use. No, you need not disconnect the wires physically.There are various free software firewalls that you can download. I would recommend ZoneAlarm. Well, firewalls are just as different from one another just as a chocolate is from others.

Originally posted by vijay911@Oct 23 2005, 07:47 PM
Hello,

I wish to know if there would be any data transfer, which would cost me, when I am not browsing or downloading, that is when I am just online and the connection is idle.

Also,  to protect our computers while not online, how do we disconnect? Is it recommended that we physically disconnect the wires?

Please suggest some good firewalls, and tell me how are they different from Norton, PC Cillin, McAfee etc.,

Thank you.
[snapback]29229[/snapback]
[/quote]

What os are you using? if it is xp and if you are doing automatic updates it will go on in the background. And believe me, this can sometimes be HUGE (without warning i had to accommodate a whopping 115MB download of SP2 for win xp). And this will of course, be accounted in your usage. But i think that in the long run, if you budget your downloads properly, it is really worth it. It gives you some real peace of mind.

i am using zonealarm FW - slows down things a bit, but it is ok. But then the windows xp sp2 firewall gets disabled. Get antispyware too.. there are some available free .. like spybot, adaware etc. This will on the whole add up to your system resource overheads. We must be prepared for some compromise.. the computer will run a litle slowly but surely.

Originally posted by oldtimer@Oct 24 2005, 09:26 AM
What os are you using? if it is xp and if you are doing  automatic updates it will go on in the background. And believe me, this can sometimes be HUGE (without warning i had to accommodate a whopping 115MB download of SP2 for win xp). And this will of course,  be accounted in your usage. But i think that in the long run, if you budget your downloads properly, it is really worth it. It gives you some real peace of mind.

i am using zonealarm FW - slows down things a bit, but  it is ok. But then the windows xp sp2 firewall gets disabled. Get antispyware too.. there are some available free .. like spybot, adaware etc. This will on the whole add up to your system resource overheads. We must be prepared for some compromise.. the computer will run a litle slowly but surely.
[snapback]29298[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hello,

I currently do have spybot, spyware blaster and aVast anti-virus.

Would you please tell me the difference between anti-virus software like norton etc., and a firewall. Or are they the same? I mean does norton etc., have firewall functions too? I ask this question because, my anti-virus software, aVast constantly monitors my internet connection, my incoming mails in boath outlook and outlook express, and all such things.

Anyway, I'll try zone alarm too.

Thank you.

Generally speaking, A firewall keeps track of your internet connection basically. It monitors which process or program is trying to connect to the internet. If it is some unauthorised attempt, it will block it. Also, it will protect (mostly) your pc from intrusions from outside. The antivirus software on the other hand scans mail and files to check for viruses or trojans, worms etc ..which in turn are the ones that sometimes help outsiders to gain control over your pc and maybe turn it into a "zombie" which obeys commands from some remote location on the web. You wouldnt know what was happening but the pc would become painfully slow.. I am sure there are more knowledgeable people out there who can throw more light on this matter..

Try Pc cillin internet security 2005 pack. It consists of firewall, antivirus, antispyware and many other features.