Dat File To Dvd

Sushubh

Administrator
a friend of mine got married and the video guy gave him a VCD and a DVD copy of the wedding.now the vcd is the regular vcd which plays well in vcd players. however, the idiot seems to have mangled with the dvd where there is a dat file which plays only on computer.i guess its the same dat format which is used on VCDs. how do i get it converted into a dvd which plays on regular dvd players....

waterloo_sunset

Regulars
Rename the DAT file to .mpg and convert to DVD using a program such as WinAVI or simply use Nero and it should convert the mpeg to DVD prior to burning.

Sushubh

Administrator
tried nero cound not find an option to burn a mpg file to dvd :\i must be missing something. :confused:

waterloo_sunset

Regulars
My bad, Nero allows you to create VCD's like that so i assumed the same would be possible for DVD's as well. Try the first method; convert with WinAVI and burn with Nero.

Sushubh

Administrator
hmm. would need to go to some nasty looking sites i guess. :pno open source application that works in a similar fashion? :)

Apoorv Khatreja

Super Loser
Regulars
You could try MediaCoder. It's open source, but I can't guarantee about the conversion quality.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Vi...ediaCoder.shtml

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

AFAIK, most DVD players do play .dat files. Even I back up movies in .dat format by burning them to DVD's. I can easily use these DVD's on my DVD player. The difference is just that I get a menu with all the names of the files instead of a user friendly interactive menu that comes with original movie DVD's.

Apoorv Khatreja

Super Loser
Regulars
So, was MediaCoder helpful? I've used it before for dat to avi conversions, but never tried converting to vob.