• Views Views 1,136

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
Shah Jahans iconic Red Fort in Delhi is now Dalmia groups Red Fort

In one of the most spectacular contracts ever won by a corporate house in India, the 77-year-old Dalmia group has created history by adopting a slice of it. The conglomerate has become the first corporate house in India’s history to adopt a historical monument in a contract worth Rs 250 million (or Rs 25 crore) spanning five years. The monument in question is none other than the 17th century Red Fort, built by India’s fifth Mughal ruler Shah Jahan, as he moved his administrative capital from Agra to present-day Delhi. The Dalmia group won the contract by beating IndiGo Airlines and the GMR group in the race to bag one of the most prestigious contracts under the Indian government's ‘Adopt A Heritage’ scheme.

I wonder who would win the bid for Taj Mahal.

wtf does adoption mean? does this mean on republic day, PM will start the speech by saying "Im proud to be here on red fort powered by dalmier, our communication partner jio etc etc" ?

i assume it means that they would take care of it. like maintain it. one can hope.
as for the red fort speech... remains to be seen 😀

This can actually be a good thing provided the company doesn't make a mockery of it. Govt ke raj me toh taj mahal has just blackened if nothing else.

i can seriously understand branding of metro stations. but monuments i don't get.
there is a dedicated department with dedicated funding to maintain them. it's one thing to get private companies to manage gardens and infrastructure to handle tourists. but the monument itself kind of baffles me. but then i have no idea what rights does this private company gets for spending (just) Rs. 5 crores per year for the rights to Red Fort.
would they put their branding all around the monument? would they control ticket prices? would they maintain the actual historical infrastructure? what exactly is the purpose of Archaeological Survey of India once you have sold out all the major monuments around the country? i mean 5 crores per year? what does that even achieve for the government? it's likely that political parties spend more on a major rally featuring a prominent politician.

Under the contract, the Dalmia Bharat group will be tasked with carrying out a major facelift of the Red Fort’s surroundings under deadlines that range from a few months to over two years.
Firstly, the government has promised the Dalmia Bharat Group that it would be held “harmless” in case the Archaeological Survey of India and others like Delhi’s district collector decide to pursue any claims related to the work done on the monument. While the indemnity clause may help against pressure tactics and frivolous activism of the ‘culture brigade’, it also gives creative freedom for transforming the Red Fort. Secondly, the contract also allows prominent visibility to the Dalmia brand. The group would be able to use the ‘Dalmia’ brand name on souvenirs, banners during cultural events and all signage that it would install across Red Fort’s precincts. A sign would also be deployed at the historical structure that shows that it has been adopted by Dalmia Bharat Limited.

one amazing thing is that owner of the dalmia group is one of the accused in the babri masjid demolition case.

Babri demolition case highlights: Charges of criminal conspiracy framed against Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi, Uma Bharti | india news | Hindustan Times

Senior BJP leaders LK Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi and union minister Uma Bharti appeared before a special CBI court on Tuesday and were granted bail in the 1992 Babri Masjid demolition case. The court framed charges of criminal conspiracy under section 120(b) of the Indian Penal Code.

Besides these three leaders, special CBI judge SK Yadav had asked BJP leader Vinay Katiyar, VHP’s Vishnu Hari Dalmia and a one-time firebrand Hindutva preacher Sadhvi Ritambara to present themselves before the court in person. The judge had said no application for adjournment or exemption from personal appearance shall be entertained.

so a member of vhp has control over red fort which basically is an islamic structure.