Cyber network brimming with privacy invasion bids

• Thread starter Thread starter Suraj
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 28
  • Views Views 4,862
Hahahaha..... i was a part of this mischief!!But i never deleted an files. All I did was download songs from other PCs... view the ad agency's ads.... and I even viewed those honeymoon pics!!!

once i also downloaded an MP3 CD from someone in my network...but seems it made his system slow and he was restarting again and agian...and finally, it took me 2 hrs just to copy the comlete CD as he would restart after every 10 mins 😛

ya i have also tried hacking into persons on my lanand have successfully done than several timesbut most of time didn't find anything usefuland most of peps on my lan were infected with some thing or other virusjust sometime found some oldies mp3'sand some latest movies just thatand most important their documents(resumes,letters etc)and i spend a lot of time reading themand u know i could even delete these suckers files and some even had passwords but thier passwords were easy to breakbut i don't do it much as it requires me to disable my guards also to browse lan

There are two things here:One is hacking into anther persons computer or seeing shared folders etc not secured by firewall/passwords. Sify cannot be blamed, but they shud make an effort to educate users.Another is packet sniffing. There is nothing u can do abt it, it is the way the network is setup. The only way to avoid it is to use a fully routed network. For example, this attack is not possible on DSL etc cos they are dedicated connections. The server knows which phone line shud recieve data, and it sends only along that line. While a switch, sends along the dedicated path ONLY IF THE COMPUTER IS DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO IT. Since we get data travelling thru god knows how many switches, in that case it sends data everywhere (broadcasts). A fully routed network wud not have that problem (routers always know the exact path to a computer). It is still possible to do some funny stuff, but at least it shud help.

Originally posted by kingkrool@Aug 13 2005, 12:47 AM
One is hacking into anther persons computer or seeing shared folders etc not secured by firewall/passwords. Sify cannot be blamed, but they shud make an effort to educate users.
[snapback]21154[/snapback]
[/quote]

actually here is the problem.

when u get the sify connection, u do not pay for being connected to a network full of people who would love to break into your computer and steal your stuff or view your private photos. you pay to get an internet connection. if you get hacked from the net, it is your mistake. but the LAN is something they are forcing you to connect to. it is their problem to manage... so i believe u can indeed blame sify if you get a victim of hacking on LAN they own and manage.

Not convinced, no one is forcing anyone to use thier network. If you have to, they should at least warn people. But this might have the negative effect of scaring away customers.I have yet to hear a case where an ISP has been sucessfully sued for such anywhere in the world. Who knows maybe they don't want to have a precedent set and settle out of court.If your car gets stolen from a parking lot, what do you do.Sue the car park owner or report the theft ot the police ?

Originally posted by inetbum@Aug 12 2005, 12:02 AM
The cases reported here about accessing the shared folders can be even done if the mischief-maker and the victim are on opposite sides of the earth and using the internet  😛. Can't blame an ISP for this.
[snapback]21001[/snapback]
[/quote]

Originally posted by inetbum@Aug 12 2005, 12:02 AM
The cases reported here about accessing the shared folders can be even done if the mischief-maker and the victim are on opposite sides of the earth and using the internet  😛. Can't blame an ISP for this.
[snapback]21001[/snapback]
[/quote]

when u are not using the net, you are not using a service you paid sify broadband for. the lan is a liability on you and your PC's security. sify cannot keep track of the internet. but keeping track of the LAN should be their headache.

as for the parking question... if the parking owner charges theives who park their cars in the parking to steal other people's cars, i would definitely sue that parking owner.

Well the risks of your shared folders getting acessed is the same from the internet when you have an always-on connection to the internet as it is when you are on a LAN. So by the same logic always-on ISPs too would be liable for their users getting hacked in this fashion. It's nothing unique to a LAN based set-up. Sify can be expected to do something about it when other ISPs also start doing it. And of the things that can be done, i prefer educating users (which Sify has just started) rather than forcing firewall apps on us or blocking ports on the ISP's end.What's unique to a LAN based set-up and for which Sify can be held liable is if users on it sniff other users' data-packets and monitor their internet usage (get to know their passwords, which sites they have visited etc.) That's a real security risk on a LAN.

Last year I was on a lan connection provided by the lacal cablewala. They had minimum knowledge of internet, lan etc. I hacked at least 4 to 5 pcs but found nothing interesting. Yes most of the users are very less knowledgable and win98 is the worst OS for internet. But I was also on win98 and never hacked. So if you know how to handle, win98 can be secured. The main point is, whenever you are on net, never share anything of your PC & keep a good firewall and antivirus (btw I use AVG free & zonealarm). Even this year for a few months I used sify dialup & have seen many business house PCs which are so vernarable that they can easily be intruded.

These instances are minimised when a Switch is used in place of a normal hub, however those intelligent al;ways know a way to get their stuff done 😉

When contacted, Sify’s Regional Manager (North) Punit Sharma claimed Sify has an ‘‘online monitoring system’’. The ISP’s Delhi-based Chief Communications Officer David Appasamy said in an e-mail interview: ‘‘Sify has implemented Intrusion Detection Systems, Firewalls and other mechanisms in the network and has a Security Task force which constantly monitors unnecessary activity on the network and takes appropriate action’’.ids , firewalls are all good news but incapable of monitoring activity on local area segments . these are devices meant for usually ingress filtering and rarely egress except for some state based firewalls . for the network monitoring to be working one needs to install hardware like a managable switch , have ACL 's and run other ids which can monitor sniffing activity at the CTO level which seems highly improbable . you are still better off relying on yourself and get that firewall installed , run an antivirus and install a good anti-spyware , malware software . leaving things like your privacy in sify's hand is a joke .