• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 2,393

droidsuree

Confused!
ISP
Airtel 2mbps UL
Hi Guys

Am planning to get something from Deal Extreme (They're based in HK) worth 5k but it is an electronic device. They send it like a gift without their logo too if you want.

But I read in the customs site that upto 5k is permitted to import. But I am worried that I might end up paying a huge sum to customs duty
import of gifts
Any advice appreciated please.

Thanks

i thought 10K was the limit on imported goods through courier (from 24North i believe)

As long as you use normal shipping you're good, Don't use EMS. It costs 20 bucks extra + delivers late (atleast for me) :/

Thank you Sachin!

@Admin, yeah I saw this line in 20north "The only other exception is that items up to a value of US$200, sent as gifts via an authorized courier can be imported duty free."

But does normal post count?

----------

Ok I just jumped on the bandwagon risking some 4.5k 🙂 It is still well under the 5k customs limit. So I am hoping not to attract any customs duty. Will post more on this on the days to come..

As long as you use normal shipping you're good, Don't use EMS. It costs 20 bucks extra + delivers late (atleast for me) :/

What if they upgrade me for free to EMS? Should I take it or leave it?

Leave it, If your package comes in that yellow package, custom officers won't even care to see what's in it.For EMS shipping, it has to clear all customs from Chennai office.

Dealextreme ships through gift packing most of the times. Items below 10K do not attract customs from what I remember.

What if they upgrade me for free to EMS? Should I take it or leave it?

If they're offering it for free then take it. It'll make it easier to track your package once it is shipped.

Well i have ordered 3 times from DX using the normal shipping method and received the goods within 15-30 days..and never paid any customs duty (goods werent of dutiable value in the first place)..however, they do drop the logo and give u a tracking no (if u select these options while ordering) which only works till the product leaves HKG..plus they also put a customs declaration stating the value of the goods on the package also mentioning that it may be opened by customs officials.

If they're offering it for free then take it. It'll make it easier to track your package once it is shipped.

No, He shouldn't, EMS/Faster shipping attracts customs.

MY story : Bought a laser from dealextreme worth 50 USD with EMS shipping so total of 70 USD, They actually added the shipping price in the total price of the itrem so when it arrived in my nearby post office (After nearly 1 month), I was asked to pay 327 INR as custom duty.

Hope this clears it out.

ya no one is bothered about stuff sent through normal post also usually price of items are lessso btw if someone uses DHL and others...and value of goods is under 10K there won't be any customs ? I was planning on ordering this antenna and one co. called shopnship said I will end up paying atleast Rs 500 on the customs for a antenna that costed like Rs 1500 lol ?