Custom Networking Setup Advice

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 63558
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 3,505
D

Deleted member 63558

Hello!

I am willing to use Airtel Broadband for my main PC. (Airtel is more stable)

But, I want to use Excitel Broadband for my Secondary PC. (Excitel has good Upload Speed)

How can I make a setup so that I have a LAN Connection in between both the system as well.

Since, I use a special program which uses LAN to send data from Main to Second PC. (It is 1Gbps since the data is extreme quality video)

Thanks.

@varkey @achaudhary997 @JB700

Some Extra Reasoning:

Excitel: I cannot use Excitel on main PC because it has huge packet loss, routing issues (started recently) and frequent disconnection (happens anytime like a ghost).

Airtel: I cannot use Airtel on Second PC because upload speed is potato (shit), also if I upload something, the ping goes very high (because Airtel VDSL is not full-duplex)

Depends on your existing setup. If you use a load balancing or failover device, such devices mostly has an option to route all traffic from specific source devices through one network. You could essentially have policies.

However if its a simple setup without a load failover/balancing device. You could achieve this manually.

1. Airtel router assign IP address 192.168.1.1
2. Excitel router assign IP address 192.168.1.2
3. Enable DHCP server on the router/ISP which you need as the default for all devices, and disable DHCP on the other one.
4. Manually assign IP address on the devices which need to use the non-default ISP and set the gateway to that ISPs router.

All devices would be part of the same LAN and you could do any LAN based sharing as you do now. If you want to switch to other ISP on a particular device, just change to manual IP addresses and give the IP address of the appropriate gateway. Do make sure that DHCP range and manual range doesn't coincide.

Yes, I have EdgeRouter-X but I am unable to understand how can I make specific device use Airtel as the ISP?

And, Keep everything else on the Excitel.

Any help?

I right now use EdgeRouter-X in the Failover-Mode (so if Excitel goes off, Airtel comes in action and when Excitel is back online, EdgeRouter-X stop using Airtel and move back to Excitel within 5 sec of ping testing via. Excitel)

Ping Testing: 8.8.8.8

You can connect the Excitel ethernet cable directly to the secondary computer , get another NIC and connect it to your main network (Airtel) for Gbit LAN. There is probably a way to do this with VLANs since you have Edgerouter. Maybe @varkey will be able to help you here

Here you go, check under "Exceptions"

Not sure if there is a GUI way, but through CLI you can definitely do.

@varkey for the fallback (after excitel comes back when edgerouter-x shifts to excitel from airtel) I use a script for it.

How can I do all that you suggest with it?

The plan I suggested is more at physical layer (there is proabably a way to do it in software but it'll take some work) but what I suggested was to connect the ethernet cable that comes from excitel directly to your secondary pc and connect to Excitel with PPPoE from there. Get another Gigabit NIC (costs around 700-900 for cheaper ones on Amazon), install it on your secondary pc (goes into PCI-E slot), then connect an ethernet cable from that NIC to your primary PC . This way you can use Excitel for internet on the secondary PC and you can transfer files from your primary PC by LAN.

@JB700 I cannot send the Excitel Wire directly into the Second PC since I use that for whole house. 🙁

Let me tell my setup here for you all.

I use EdgeRouter-X for the Failover and Fallback where Excitel is Main and Airtel is Backup.

I use custom script to make it possible for the EdgeRouter-X to move back to the Excitel from Airtel once Excitel is online (since EdgeRouter-X doesn't support this thing natively).

EdgeRouter-X Handles the DHCP for all the devices in my house.

So, I have connected Asus Router as Access Point with Ethernet with EdgeRouter-X.

I have connected both my Main PC and Secondary PC from that ASUS Router via. Ethernet (since, My PCs are in different room and I use ASUS Router as Switch).

How can I use Airtel for my Main PC and Excitel for Secondary PC without loosing LAN between them?

Thanks.

I have a TP-Link USB Ethernet Adapter (with Gigabit) TP-Link USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Net Adapter - Buy TP-Link USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Net Adapter Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

Just in case you want to know I have it in my drawer.

@varkey @JB700

Last edited by a moderator:
How can I use Airtel for my Main PC and Excitel for Secondary PC without loosing LAN between them?

I think you should be able to do this with a static routing entry on the Edgerouter-X since it handles both your WAN connections. Set the route from the LAN IP of each machine to be routed via a particular WAN. Using VLANs is another option. I am not familiar with the capabilities of the Edgerouter-X..I have only heard of it. So please consult the router documentation for details.

^ I would have if I know the technicalities of all this. I'm bit new for all this to do.

The link I shared earlier wrt to the EdgeRouter X specifically goes into your requirement, and has the solution and if you read it, you'd notice that it's almost the exact same use case as yours.

Yes, its done entirely in the CLI and you'd need an idea on how things work internally. Again I've never used the device so not intimately familiar with it. But skimming through that post, it definitely looks like what you need.

Here is the link again

Yes, But if you could re-confirm again since I don't want to leave a room for misunderstanding.

nyJUYcf.webp

(Click on Image to see full screen)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes all that should work. You could have source IP address based groups, so if you assign an IP address from a specific group to a device, you'd get routed through your Airtel connection, for everything else Excitel. So if you want to change the gateway, just change the IP address.

The link I shared earlier can be taken as base and tweaked or modified as per your needs.

The Asus router as a dumb AP and/or switch shouldn't cause issues, you wouldn't even need to change anything on that device.

Your LAN stuff etc would work as is now. All routing logic would be handled by the Edgerouter.