Custom duty while importing through DHL

• Thread starter Thread starter Rehan Kumar
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 2,496
ISP
Airtel FTTH
I am thinking of buying Mi notebook pro from gearbest and the only shipping option is DHL, I have heard that importing through DHL(and other major cargo companies) almost guarantees custom duty charges.
Can anyone tell their experience about custom charges while importing through DHL or similar companies, Importing expensive things like these seems quite risky due to unknown custom duty charges

you would end up paying more than 40% in custom duty.

a nephew of mine picked dhl for a 25 (or 35) dollar order from gearbest. ended up paying 1400 rupees duty on it. if he had used priority shipping, he would most likely have avoided the duty.

order through india line shipping. the product will come through gati with no customs.

I have used GATI for about 15 times while using gearbest with no custom duty till now(value of items ranging from $5-50) but unfortunately India line/priority shipping (GATI) is not available for this item, only DHL, probably due to its high cost.
It's useless to buy the product with such amount of custom duty, the government really knows how to fuck it's citizens, it's not easy to manufacture every product in india

I have ordered ledger nano S and UPS are shipping it from france to here. And I had a word with the office of UPS here and they said customs will be charged i.e 5%(of the cost) + GST (depends on the item catagory)

It depends on item ordered but ordering it from DHL/fedex almost guarantees customs (that too high generous customs). both DHL/fedex ship thousands of packages everyday so that want to minimise customs issues so they always collect more customs

I think for big things like netbook, whatever shipping you select, duty would be implied.