Creating a home network

• Thread starter Thread starter sibot
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 1,595

sibot

ISP
MTNL
Hey,I'm trying to create a network at my home, basically between my laptop and my computer. The laptop connects wirelessly to the network and the PC is wired.I'm trying to set up an administrative share between both the pc's i.e. I can access drivers on either of the computers by \\Compname\D$. I'm using Vista Ultimate.I've got both the computers on the same workgroup, which is a private one btw. I can access the drives on my Laptop by \\Laptop\D$, but I can't seem to do the same for the drives on my Desktop. It asks me for a username and password, for which i enter the only sole admin account, but when I hit enter, the username window pops up again. Any clues what could be going on?Any help would be much appreciated.Regards,SibotPS: If this isn't the right section to ask in, mods kindly do your magic.*******************************************************************************UPDATEAlright I solved the problem, the PC was freshly formatted and UAC was turned on. Turning off UAC solved the problem, I guess the administrator user needed permission itself to access the drives the first time via a network. I wanted to ask two more questions, 1. how can I improve the range of my wireless router? Would installing it on a greater height help in any way?2. My Wireless router connects to my ADSL Modem and my computers connect to the wireless router. They are registered an IP via DHCP as 10.0.0.2 - 3 or whatever. Can I give them fixed IP addresses and DNS servers (MTNL DNS servers). Would that work?Regards,Sibot

Yes, placing the router higher in the room/ area does help a bit.Infact if your wireless supports n-draft then use that instead of g. I am not sure about providing static IP to wireless but for wired it can be done...just make sure the its always 10.XXX.XXX.XXX same as DHCP.😀

just walk into a local computer store & buy a access point which is compatible with your router