Created a DC++ hub

• Thread starter Thread starter NeO
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 59
  • Views Views 36,091
sidgupta are you aware of anyway to change SAM IP. I'd like to share files with a friend into different LAN (SIFY) but our SAM IP's are different I suppose tht's the reason we are not able to ping.

You can't arbitrarily change your SAM ips as far as I know.

And you can't ping anything much on Sify apart from the computers on your LAN including the gateway because Sify blocks pings.

So I'd suggest logging onto Sify, finding out your external IP through http://www.showmyip.com, telling your friend who's under another SAM server to do the same, exchange the external IPs and connect with eachother.

I guess the only way to find out whether you can connect with eachother is by actually trying to do so using DC++ or whatever. Because you simply can't ping eachother unless you are on the same LAN.

I've tried exchanging external IP's but transfer speeds are really slow (3~5KB/s) in my case. I've installed a HTTP server n tried to download a file from my pc using my external IP yet I was getting really slow speed. Even the ping is disabled only gateway pinging is allowed. I have a friend staying a KM away from me havin SIFY but different on LAN. We have transferred 700MB file in about 30mins. I'm not sure about as to wats his SAM server but guess its same.

LOL you were getting 3-5 kBps on transferring a file from your PC to your PC itself, only going through Sify's SAM server and other Sify servers in the process.Now we know how much Sify throttles our speeds as soon as we reach the Sify servers. There couldn't be a better demonstration of this other than what you tried Mr. Guest 😛And well if you have different SAM servers then I don't think there's any way other than to logon and download from your friends at your capped speeds.

The data transfer rate is capped at the SAM server, isn't it? So people on the same SAM server might get high exchange speeds ...Maybe we should all post our SAM servers, those on the same ones can probably share files.My (current) one is 202.144.58.37

Yeah seems like it.My SAM server is 202.144.58.38.

My SAM server is 210.210.4.75I stay in Mumbai at Sion. If anyone else has same SAM server as mine than we can just try transferring files.

Originally posted by sidgupta@Dec 20 2004, 12:21 PM
i think i can connect to u if we hav the same SAM IP...
lik my frnds in matunga they hav 10.10.177.x ips...but theyr sam server is the same...so we can connect to each other....figure out a way to change ur SAM IP to 210.210.4.72 and v shud b able to connect via DC++
[snapback]3470[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've downloaded source code for Easy Sify and changed the SAM IP address from 210.210.4.75 to 210.210.4.72 but now I cant surf.. :angry: so I reverted back to my original SAM 210.210.4.75 and everything was normal again. I then logged in from my friends account who's SAM IP is 210.210.4.72 just to check whether Sify BB Client changes the SAM IP in BBAND.ini file. I was amazed to see tht SAM IP was same, even with Easy Sify there was no change and his account was working fine. As sidgupta has mentioned tht he's friends in matunga with IP 10.10.177.x are able to share is because they both are on same LAN also their SAM IP are same. Even I've experienced great transfer speed with a friend staying at Matunga who's having different IP range but I guess he must be on same SAM IP as mine. I transferred 700MB file within 30mins thru Yahoo Messenger.

Conclusion : As per my experience logging thru different SAM IP didnt help. I guess they must have locked us to predefined SAM IP.

I exchanged a file with Fred over IRC (we have the same SAM server) and we got 7kBps ...Maybe that was because we were logged in, so our speeds were capped at the Sam server.So basically, we would need to directly connect and share files without logging in.

I recommend downloading Borgchat and if you want you can also use a webserver like Apache. With Borgchat you can chat and transfer files.

I exchanged a file with Fred over IRC (we have the same SAM server) and we got 7kBps ...

Maybe that was because we were logged in, so our speeds were capped at the Sam server.[/b]

Since you were using IRC you probably were using your external IPs @$$igned by Sify to exchange the file. Thus all your traffic got routed through the SAM server 😛

hey wuldnt this be cool if someone hacked the sify sam server and installed a Emule server there 😛 . then we can all share files with damn high speedz 🙂