Cost for additional connection on IPTV?

• Thread starter Thread starter gunners007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 17,004
Status
Not open for further replies.
got a response. you need to have broadband to get an iptv connection.

and i don't think they would offer two IPTV connections on a single line.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

@Sushubh Its possible with ,still we need to get the feasibility checked on it, thx

about two iptv lines on one broadband connection.

@Sushubh Hey Sushubh, U need to have broadband for IPTV, thx

about iptv without broadband connection.

Generally we say about 1-1.5km. In a large city, that's a pretty significant distance. But the way I've seen most VDSL deployments done is that there is fiber to the curb (or neighbourhood) and copper is only running for a couple-hundred meters.

From what I understand, Airtel already does this even with ADSL, which is why their coverage is so limited (especially in Mumbai) - it also explains why my old house in Dadar was less than 100m from Airtel fiber and I couldn't get sh^t.

I havent seen a single MTNL or BSNL connection with FTTH/FTTC/FTTN or even FTTB...MTNL exchanges are connected to subscribers thru decades old copper wiring..same is the case with BSNL..even the airtel connection to the cabinet outside my home is copper..airtel coverage is limited coz they dont go anywhere where its not profitable for them to go...donno why u are referring to fibre?..we are talking abt IPTV taking into consideration its rollout on the connections as they already exist in India where what we have is 99.9 % ADSL on cat 3 copper with a 2 Mbps sync speed in most cases..and the SNR margin while good enuff to run to run the line at 2 Mbps doesnt inspire the same kind of confidence regarding stability when the line gets synced (atleast) to 6 Mbps to run IPTV

There is pretty strict regulation around IPTV -...

IPTV, on the other hand, is acting like another Internet device, ... by (more or less) the same regulations and licenses as our good-old Broadband services......walled garden" (in our case, this would form part of the Hayai-zone).

I have had 2 broadband connections in the same name from a PSU..donno wats the regulation that would forbid that.. if its there pls enlighten me..

But the point is, strictly speaking, a standard POTS line *does have* the bandwidth (even with stock-standard ADSL) to run 2 standard-def channels (approx 2mbit/s each) with still room to spare for between 1 & 3mbit/s of internet bandwidth. ADSL2+ increases this further, allowing for potentially 2 hi-def channels (approx 6-8 mbit/s each) and some 4-8mbit/s of bandwidth.

Mathew u are again missing the point...i have never said that POTS cannot support 2 or more channels..point is IPTV is being run on POTS lines that already exist and in case of MTNL and BSNL these lines are atleast 3-5 Kms in length and not very sound quality wise..which severely limits the ability of the line to support large amounts of data..so while it is technically possible there might be need for an additional line in quite a few cases quite simply coz the existing line is too poor.

Ofcourse fibre maybe deployed in the future but my reply to the original poster was about the present situation..ie why Airtel or for that matter any other BB provider in India *might* need a second line to give him 2 channels

I havent seen a single MTNL or BSNL connection with FTTH/FTTC/FTTN or even FTTB...MTNL exchanges are connected to subscribers thru decades old copper wiring..same is the case with BSNL..even the airtel connection to the cabinet outside my home is copper..airtel coverage is limited coz they dont go anywhere where its not profitable for them to go...donno why u are referring to fibre?..we are talking abt IPTV taking into consideration its rollout on the connections as they already exist in India where what we have is 99.9 % ADSL on cat 3 copper with a 2 Mbps sync speed in most cases..and the SNR margin while good enuff to run to run the line at 2 Mbps doesnt inspire the same kind of confidence regarding stability when the line gets synced (atleast) to 6 Mbps to run IPTV

Of course you haven't. You're talking about ADSL which has a range of about 5km and has some tolerance for shitty wiring. I'm talking about VDSL which has a much shorter range and not as much tolerance. If you looked at a VDSL deployment from either MTNL, BSNL or Airtel (which are still few and far between because of the pricing), I can pretty much guarantee that for it to work at all, they've run fiber to somewhere very nearby, stuck in a VDSL DSLAM and hopefully run some new copper from there to the premises.

I have had 2 broadband connections in the same name from a PSU..donno wats the regulation that would forbid that.. if its there pls enlighten me..

There isn't anything stopping you from having 2 broadband connections. However the same login-ID is not allowed to be used simultaneously according to the ISP license.

Mathew u are again missing the point...i have never said that POTS cannot support 2 or more channels..point is IPTV is being run on POTS lines that already exist and in case of MTNL and BSNL these lines are atleast 3-5 Kms in length and not very sound quality wise..which severely limits the ability of the line to support large amounts of data..so while it is technically possible there might be need for an additional line in quite a few cases quite simply coz the existing line is too poor.

Ofcourse fibre maybe deployed in the future but my reply to the original poster was about the present situation..ie why Airtel or for that matter any other BB provider in India *might* need a second line to give him 2 channels

You're also missing the point that the OP is looking for a second IPTV connection from Airtel, whose deployments are usually done from within the society, meaning the cable-run is only a couple hundred meters at most and therefore MTNL/BSNLs wiring doesn't come in to play.

What I'm saying therefore is that while theoretically and technically possible (for those on Airtel, at least), it's most likely that the user will need to purchase a second broadband connection in order to get a second IPTV connection due to the licensing and regulation behind any devices accessing the internet in India, which includes IP-capable TVs and Set-Top Boxes.

Fortunately, however, he probably doesn't need to purchase the same level of broadband plan and can surely get away with the lowest available tariff that they have to offer, which at least reduces the hit on the wallet.

Although even then, Airtel is allowed to dish out more than one login-ID for each connection, so they probably want you to get the second connection due to some company policy.

hah. he would still have to fork out around 1000 bucks because i doubt airtel has any plans left that are below 4-500 rupees.

Of course you haven't. You're talking about ADSL which has a range of about 5km and has some tolerance for shitty wiring. I'm talking about VDSL which has a much shorter range and not as much tolerance. If you looked at a VDSL deployment from either MTNL, BSNL or Airtel (which are still few and far between because of the pricing), I can pretty much guarantee that for it to work at all, they've run fiber to somewhere very nearby, stuck in a VDSL DSLAM and hopefully run some new copper from there to the premises.

Since it is few and far between, why are we talking about it ? Again i am saying that VDSL will be deployed when it will be deployed...presently for most users even on Airtel bandwidth on copper cable (not theoretical but practical) over ADSL/ADSL2+ is a big issue with IPTV..if u read about IPTV connections globally u will find that till fibre was been deployed last-mile bandwidth was major bottleneck for IPTV..same thing applies to India. MTNL when it enables IPTV, reduces teh internet speed to 256 Kbps why is that if bandwidth over ADSL/ADSL2+ is not a problem? FYI MTNL has ADSL 2+ enabled for most DSLAM's

You're also missing the point that the OP is looking for a second IPTV connection from Airtel, whose deployments are usually done from within the society, meaning the cable-run is only a couple hundred meters at most and therefore MTNL/BSNLs wiring doesn't come in to play.

i know he needs it on airtel, the admin of this forum and even others using IPTV on airtel are having issues with picture freezes etc, while this could be due to other issues could this not be related to insufficient b/w?

There isn't anything stopping you from having 2 broadband connections. However the same login-ID is not allowed to be used simultaneously according to the ISP license.

What I'm saying therefore is that while theoretically and technically possible (for those on Airtel, at least), it's most likely that the user will need to purchase a second broadband connection in order to get a second IPTV connection due to the licensing and regulation behind any devices accessing the internet in India, which includes IP-capable TVs and Set-Top Boxes.

Well the STB's being sold as of now are not internet capable..so why would the regulation apply to them? Yes they work on IP but working on IP and being an internet device are two different things..they dont go beyond the co's local server to access the net. Frankly the whole idea of having to get a second connection just coz of some regulation seems absurd..techically non-feasibility is a much more rational explanation. I dont know whether a second STB on IPTV accessing the co's local server would qualify as multiple internet logins..apart from being a technical question, it is also a legal moot point.

Although even then, Airtel is allowed to dish out more than one login-ID for each connection, so they probably want you to get the second connection due to some company policy.

Company policy or technical non-feasibility is what i would put my money on.Again this is practical non-feasibility (not theoretical) in cases where the line length is long and there is no fibre which i think is still the case with majority of installations even with Airtel. Case in point...my home..it does not have fibre anywhere near it. It was dug up before me so i know.

Status
Not open for further replies.