• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 17,005
Status
Not open for further replies.

gunners007

ISP
Airtel
Hi guys,Im currently on 1799 DSL plan along with tht a Rs 299 IPTV topup.If I wish for another connection for a different TV, what do I need to pay? The cc guys are giving me a different answer everytime i ask them 🙁Thanks a lot!

No replies???Anyway I dug deep and heres what I got to know.If you need another IPTV connection at ur place ... you will need to have another DSL connection that comes with its additional monthly fees! 😱This is so dumb!Sala for additional connection wtf shud i get another dsl connection and pay for it too?Anyone any thoughts???

ok here is my feedback.

originally i was told that one broadband line can only support one IPTV connection.

but some other user on the forum said that he was told that two IPTV connections can run on a single broadband line.

well... you might not require to pay for their broadband services as you can just take their topup plan... Digital TV from Airtel

but i cannot confirm if they would let you take an IPTV connection without a broadband connection. i know no one who has taken JUST their IPTV connection. 🙂

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

just sent the question to airtel presence folks. Twitter / Sushubh: @Airtel_Presence can iptv ...

though i cannot confirm that their answer would be accurate. 🙂

ok here is my feedback.

originally i was told that one broadband line can only support one IPTV connection.

but some other user on the forum said that he was told that two IPTV connections can run on a single broadband line.

well... you might not require to pay for their broadband services as you can just take their topup plan... Digital TV from Airtel

but i cannot confirm if they would let you take an IPTV connection without a broadband connection. i know no one who has taken JUST their IPTV connection. 🙂

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

just sent the question to airtel presence folks. Twitter / Sushubh: @Airtel_Presence can iptv ...

though i cannot confirm that their answer would be accurate. 🙂

Well, you ought to update your query on twitter. I guess saying "Additional IPTV connection without another bb connection" is more accurate. Right now its sounding someone is wishing for a fresh iptv without bb at all.
Anyway, coming to what youve said ... "but some other user on the forum said that he was told that two IPTV connections can run on a single broadband line. "
now this is exactly wht airtel cc havent been saying 🙁
They say, nothing doing, another iptv ... another bb 🙁 WTF!

Can you please trace the user who said that? I know it might be difficult but 🙁

i can always ask for a second question. well the point remains... if they say a customer can have two IPTV connections on a single broadband line... what does that do? it is the same response that you have been getting through their customer support right?

If you need another IPTV connection at ur place ... you will need to have another DSL connection that comes with its additional monthly fees! 😱
This is so dumb!

Sala for additional connection wtf shud i get another dsl connection and pay for it too?

Anyone any thoughts???

Quite simply coz u r dealing with IPTV over good old copper wire here..now those copper wires have limited data carrying capacity..IPTV requires anywhere between 1.5 to 6 Mbps for single channel depending on codec used ie MPEG 4 or 2...now for for the additional connection on the same line u have to double the bandwidth requirement which is not a feasible option with most copper lines...however if u wanna watch the same channel on 2 tv's that can be done without too much difficulty.

ah well if i am to believe mgcarley, copper cables are capable of carrying more than 20mbps 😀 isn't the same cable used for 8/10/20 mbps connections offered by our ISPs?

Well, ADSL2 is technically capable of providing upto 24Mbps, but then most implementations worldwide cap out around 15Mbps. Distance from the CO is a major concern, and this is where DSL loses the battle.

of course. airtel already does a pretty thorough feasibility study before confirming the availability of IPTV in a new region. so i suppose they can measure the quality of line and decide if it can support a second IPTV connection. personally i find it hard to believe that it would work out (on my connection at least). quality is pretty sad even in the current format. and adding a second device is only going to make it worse.

i can always ask for a second question.

well the point remains... if they say a customer can have two IPTV connections on a single broadband line... what does that do? it is the same response that you have been getting through their customer support right?

That's what! Their customer support is saying the opposite. They are saying one bb line CANNOT support two IPTV. They say a new IPTV will need a new bb, doesnt matter if you already have a bb+iptv or not.

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

Quite simply coz u r dealing with IPTV over good old copper wire here..now those copper wires have limited data carrying capacity..IPTV requires anywhere between 1.5 to 6 Mbps for single channel depending on codec used ie MPEG 4 or 2...now for for the additional connection on the same line u have to double the bandwidth requirement which is not a feasible option with most copper lines...however if u wanna watch the same channel on 2 tv's that can be done without too much difficulty.

Ok, with all due respect to technology, I feel this is utter nonsense. I mean this is such a common scenario, an additional connection. Arent the DTH cos. going an extra mile in offering discounts for the same? Even the local cable walla doesnt charge twice the amount.
And here its not just twice the amount, its also piggybacking something I really dont need at all.
Btw I hvent yet spoke abt the telephone services also that I also need to subscribe, all this for a mere "extra connection".

If AIRTEL IPTV vibhag never foresaw this, then its quite simply unbelievable. Who would get another dsl+telephone for just another IPTV.
IPTV wud lose hands down this already cut-throat competition!

ah well if i am to believe mgcarley, copper cables are capable of carrying more than 20mbps 😀

isn't the same cable used for 8/10/20 mbps connections offered by our ISPs?

Cat3 (telephone) cable is actually capable of carrying a VDSL signal, technically up to 100mbit/s using both pairs (otherwise 50mbit/s), though I think in a lot of cases new installs are done with at least Cat5e (and if they're not, they should be).

Well, ADSL2 is technically capable of providing upto 24Mbps, but then most implementations worldwide cap out around 15Mbps. Distance from the CO is a major concern, and this is where DSL loses the battle.

Not distance from the CO - it's distance from the DSLAM. CO to the DSLAM is usually fiber, removing distance from being an issue. The DSLAM in most countries is usually found in a roadside cabinet or local exchange. In India, you're more likely to find the DSLAM in the building or a nearby building itself (as I believe Airtel usually does, which is why in some places the coverage area is so limited), but for other companies like MTNL/BSNL, you've usually got those big boxes on some street corners (half of which are decrepit and open/broken in to/etc) or otherwise in newly built-up areas you might even find a slab in the footpath.

of course. airtel already does a pretty thorough feasibility study before confirming the availability of IPTV in a new region. so i suppose they can measure the quality of line and decide if it can support a second IPTV connection.

personally i find it hard to believe that it would work out (on my connection at least). quality is pretty sad even in the current format. and adding a second device is only going to make it worse.

That depends on how they deliver it. With an ADSL (not ADSL2 or 2+) capable exchange/cabinet, your total bandwidth is fairly limited. ADSL2+ is better, but not ideal considering the cost difference between ADSL and VDSL equipment. If the equipment is upgraded to VDSL2 (preferably the cables should be upgraded too but it's not 100% necessary), then 2 IPTV connections should theoretically be possible IF the router at the customer's end is capable of connecting to 2 separate IPTV accounts simultaneously - most are not, so it is actually easier to get 2 separate lines for technical, rather than bandwidth reasons (although I'd personally recommend it for both).

We considered running VDSL equipment for Hayai NZ because of the topography of neighbourhoods (no apartment blocks, all houses separated, each plot is about 30m wide) it would work out only costing us about NZ$5 per month per customer for both cabling and equipment over 3 years (equipment is capable of 2 phone lines, 1 broadband and IPTV for 24 households), or less that 25% of what we would be charged by Telecom NZ to use their roadside cabinets and ADSL2+ equipment - but in the end, Fiber still won that battle.

That's what! Their customer support is saying the opposite. They are saying one bb line CANNOT support two IPTV. They say a new IPTV will need a new bb, doesnt matter if you already have a bb+iptv or not.

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

Ok, with all due respect to technology, I feel this is utter nonsense. I mean this is such a common scenario, an additional connection. Arent the DTH cos. going an extra mile in offering discounts for the same? Even the local cable walla doesnt charge twice the amount.
And here its not just twice the amount, its also piggybacking something I really dont need at all.
Btw I hvent yet spoke abt the telephone services also that I also need to subscribe, all this for a mere "extra connection".

If AIRTEL IPTV vibhag never foresaw this, then its quite simply unbelievable. Who would get another dsl+telephone for just another IPTV.
IPTV wud lose hands down this already cut-throat competition!

I doubt it wasn't unforseen - it's more likely that the equipment isn't capable of it or that configuring it is unreasonably complicated at both ends.

What you probably need is not necessarily 2 separate IPTV connections, but something similar to SKY Digital in NZ whereby you can get a second independent decoder for the same subscription... but that also is a Satellite (DTH) connection, NOT IPTV, which works in very different ways.

It may be as simple as having a more advanced router which can connect to IPTV twice, or two routers connect to the same line (after being separated by a switch/splitter), with each router connecting to the same IPTV VLAN but with different login-ID's for the purpose of being independent - but that inevitably comes down to basically the same scenario that you've already been told: you'll need another broadband connection.

Otherwise, I'm not entirely sure how even we would support multiple IPTV connections without doing more research (and a brief look at Google doesn't even show anything promising). Maybe I'll ask the guys at Motorola or Juniper next time I'm on the phone with them.

^ In India most DSLAM's are located at exchanges except in case of airtel who have remote DSLAM's installed...using the same router for 2 channels should not be an issue coz a different virtual circuit (PVC) can be used using the same login parameters..the only issue is whether the line can support the bandwidth requirement There is something called hybrid IPTV in the works and maybe even working in some parts of the world..to overcome the last mile bottleneck of cat3 cu cable..where the live content is supposed to be broadcast over satellite and VOD content thru the broadband connection..biggest problem with satellite delivery is the interactivity coz the uplink is not there..hybrid solves this by using the Broadband connection as the upstream channel

^ In India most DSLAM's are located at exchanges except in case of airtel who have remote DSLAM's installed...using the same router for 2 channels should not be an issue coz a different virtual circuit (PVC) can be used using the same login parameters..the only issue is whether the line can support the bandwidth requirement

There is something called hybrid IPTV in the works and maybe even working in some parts of the world..to overcome the last mile bottleneck of cat3 cu cable..where the live content is supposed to be broadcast over satellite and VOD content thru the broadband connection..biggest problem with satellite delivery is the interactivity coz the uplink is not there..hybrid solves this by using the Broadband connection as the upstream channel

That's how ihug NZ used to deliver broadband in the late-90's: you'd get 384kbit/s incoming with a POTS dialup uplink at 33.6kbit/s.

Needless to say, it suuuuuuuuuuc[> NO CARRIER]
[> ATDT1,830,49864]…
[> RECONNECTING...]
[> CONNECTED]
ked.

😀

But I would say that even upgrading the Cat3 cabling is not 100% necessary - as I mentioned, Cat3 theoretically supports up to 100mbit/s with 2 pairs bonded together, so bandwidth isn't really the issue - the issue literally is connecting to two separate IPTV circuits with a single piece of hardware/login/bb connection.

I'm not 100% sure but I think even most of the routers we were looking at would support 1 IPTV connection - and that's over fiber - and that device supported 8 separate virtual-circuits. I may be wrong, but that's what I got from the spec-sheet and instruction manual, anyway (I never tried actually setting up 2 separate IPTV connections).

That said, even if it's not a technical issue, I wouldn't be surprised if it's another one of those government regulations that get in the way with everything else: maybe we're simply not allowed by law to provide 2 separate IPTV connections with 1 user-ID or... something.

lol, yes..POTS uplink..even imagining it is dreadful..but here we have xDSL..so should not be an issue

But I would say that even upgrading the Cat3 cabling is not 100% necessary - as I mentioned, Cat3 theoretically supports up to 100mbit/s with 2 pairs bonded together, so bandwidth isn't really the issue - the issue literally is connecting to two separate IPTV circuits with a single piece of hardware/login/bb connection.

You are missing the point here..the crucial aspect with the DSL setup currently functioning in india is the distance from the DSLAM.. cat3 might support 50 Mbps over single pair but at what distance?...u need a DSLAM right next to the building to run the connection at that speed..and most DSLAM's, as i have mentioned before are located at the exchange which is situated at a distance of 3-5 Kms (line length) from the subscriber.

That said, even if it's not a technical issue, I wouldn't be surprised if it's another one of those government regulations that get in the way with everything else: maybe we're simply not allowed by law to provide 2 separate IPTV connections with 1 user-ID or... something.

I dont think there should be any govt regulation involved here..we are not looking at 2 IPTV connections at all..we need a single connection that can run 2 TV's running different channels simultaneously..talk of different connections cropped up coz a single line was not supporting the bandwidth requirement of 2 channels hence need for additional bandwidth thru an additional line...even if there are two connections in name of same subscriber, it should not be as issue coz its a simple question of contract..after all this is not subsidized cooking gas or something that we are looking at..

ere..the crucial aspect with the DSL setup currently functioning in india is the distance from the DSLAM.. cat3 might support 50 Mbps over single pair but at what distance?...u need a DSLAM right next to the building to run the connection at that speed..and most DSLAM's, as i have mentioned before are located at the exchange which is situated at a distance of 3-5 Kms (line length) from the subscriber.

Generally we say about 1-1.5km. In a large city, that's a pretty significant distance. But the way I've seen most VDSL deployments done is that there is fiber to the curb (or neighbourhood) and copper is only running for a couple-hundred meters.

From what I understand, Airtel already does this even with ADSL, which is why their coverage is so limited (especially in Mumbai) - it also explains why my old house in Dadar was less than 100m from Airtel fiber and I couldn't get sh^t.

I dont think there should be any govt regulation involved here..we are not looking at 2 IPTV connections at all..we need a single connection that can run 2 TV's running different channels simultaneously..talk of different connections cropped up coz a single line was not supporting the bandwidth requirement of 2 channels hence need for additional bandwidth thru an additional line...even if there are two connections in name of same subscriber, it should not be as issue coz its a simple question of contract..after all this is not subsidized cooking gas or something that we are looking at..

There is pretty strict regulation around IPTV - even the size of a company which is allowed to deploy IPTV is regulated. But the way IPTV works is different to that of say, DTH, which (to oversimplify) isn't that much unlike a regular antenna, pulling information out of the air, which allows a signal to be split more easily - which is why a single dish can run 2 or 3 set-top boxes without too many issues.

IPTV, on the other hand, is acting like another Internet device, logging on to a network with a user-ID and password, with an IP-address, using TCP/IP to access that network, potentially accessing on-demand services - all of which is regulated in India by (more or less) the same regulations and licenses as our good-old Broadband services. It is, for all intensive purposes, just another form of Internet access - only it's usually within the concerned providers "walled garden" (in our case, this would form part of the Hayai-zone).

But the point is, strictly speaking, a standard POTS line *does have* the bandwidth (even with stock-standard ADSL) to run 2 standard-def channels (approx 2mbit/s each) with still room to spare for between 1 & 3mbit/s of internet bandwidth. ADSL2+ increases this further, allowing for potentially 2 hi-def channels (approx 6-8 mbit/s each) and some 4-8mbit/s of bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.