Cops in India are now tracking torrent downloads to catch pirates

I am interested in knowing how exactly did they obtain the ip addresses?

In July this year, the anti-piracy cell arrested Abhilash from Thrissur while he was illegally uploading the film Snehaveedu on the Net
How the frick did they manage that? Arrest him while he was uploading? Reminds me of this:
The IT Crowd - Piracy warning - YouTube

Well it is pretty darn easy. ain't it? You get the torrent. you run it on your machine. you get access to tons of IPs connected to the same torrent. you just need to locate the users connected to that ip. If someone is seeding a newly released movie. it should be easy to get his IP from the seeding list and find him through his ISP.someone on twitter said we should turn on encryption. encryption does not hide your ip from other peers. bittorrent is very leaky when it comes to ip addresses of the users.

well it is also possible for government to come to your house with a search warrant and take away your computers in the name of national security. i guess it is time to encrypt your local hard drives as well. but yeah, what is the point... even that can be broken using supercomputers running for months and years if not days.

well i am not a vip in cyberspace, so i am safe i guess:laugh:

try downloading a recently released south indian movie on your computer and you become an instant terrorist in the eyes of cops being paid by the movie financiers.

How to use VPN and download movies from torrent. VPN needs username and pwd. What will be the username and pwd? Help plz

There are free services and there are paid services. I am currently using iPredator. 5 euro per month.Check their website for more information.

Free ones probably won't support torrents and they are probably throttled too.

HDD encryption using the right cipher can never be broken even if all the super computers in the world were lined to break a simple 1mb file it would roughly take a million years, same goes for a VPN 2056 bit or a 1056 bit RSA rightly done can never be comprised for a man in the middle attacks unless your RSA key is comprised too. on topic so the fun starts in India , is it a civil or a criminal offense ?? does anyone has an idea ?

Just a question, in order for someone to be prosecuted for downloading stuff, does the content in question have to be copyrighted in the country where the said offence takes place ?

Just a question, in order for someone to be prosecuted for downloading stuff, does the content in question have to be copyrighted in the country where the said offence takes place ?

Correct.