Coonecting To A Laptop And Desktop At The Same Time

• Thread starter Thread starter bhoosuran
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 4,666

bhoosuran

help needed to connect my dataone connection to my laptop and desktop at the same time.heard of a swich to use for the same.if it works what will be the speed for both?

^ you could have given the modem number ; OS ;whether you need wireless connection to Laptop ...since you mentioned switch , I assume that you donot need wireless connection . confirm this .when you use 2 systems simultaneously on one internet connection , the speed is distributed .

QUOTE(bhoosuran @ Sep 30 2006, 04:18 PM) [snapback]63706[/snapback]
help needed to connect my dataone connection to my laptop and desktop at the same time.heard of a swich to use for the same.if it works what will be the speed for both?
[/b]
modem is 300r2u.os is xp mce for both.
actually i dont know what i need ( a wireless .or a switch mode)
i just heard that there is aswitch for this purpose that's all.i dont know nothing more.

does the modem have both a usb port and a lan port? if it is so, then you can connect lan to one computer and usb to the other one. then you can use dataone on both computers at the same time.

QUOTE(bhoosuran @ Sep 30 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]63712[/snapback]
modem is 300r2u.os is xp mce for both.
actually i dont know what i need ( a wireless .or a switch mode)
i just heard that there is aswitch for this purpose that's all.i dont know nothing more.
[/b]
yes my modem has both usb&lan outs.which type of cable required to connect?will there be a automatic detection? any drivers required?,how to configure?

^ if your Laptop has a USB port then you can connecta USB cable from modem to Laptop . USB drivers forthe modem should be installed in Laptop .btw , there is no need to quote something with your new queries . Lets Not Quote the Previous Posts Unnecessarily .

I second seshu's suggestion. connect desktop thro ethernet, laptop through USB cable. I run a desktop and laptop through a wireless router. But I somehow feel I experience disconnections close to such a usage. Its not all times or frequently, but occured notable enough. It rarely has this connection problems in a single PC connection. Does BSNL have something like, strictly use only one PC connected kind of rule ? am curious about it.The speed of 8 upstream and 32 downstream just gets divided (not a 50-50 split) between your PCs.

^ @ Narayanan , I feel that BSNL has no control over how
many systems are connected to a single net connection .

However all Dataone home plans are meant for single
system only ( BSNL says , its a single user connection ) .
But many home users are connecting more than one system !

hey, i Just joined this forum.. Guys i am looking for some help here. You see, i have a desktop which works on 256kpbs home plan, ofcourse single user plan. Now i just bought a laptop. I would want that my pc as well as laptop work together with this broadband connectin, where in i want my laptop to be working wth WiFi. Also, can there be a provision, where in if either of the two is switched off, the other one can work on the broad band. Also, how can i configure my modem directly from DHCP.hey, i Just joined this forum.. Guys i am looking for some help here. You see, i have a desktop which works on 256kpbs home plan, ofcourse single user plan. Now i just bought a laptop. I would want that my pc as well as laptop work together with this broadband connectin, where in i want my laptop to be working wth WiFi. Also, can there be a provision, where in if either of the two is switched off, the other one can work on the broad band. Also, how can i configure my modem directly from DHCP.

^ you should have given modem number sothat
someone would respond to your query .

however see this : configuration menu ( look in 2nd column of menu )

btw , pls edit above post to delete the copy of text ...

hey, Thanx for a speedy reply.. Would you suggest me some models please and how and where do i hae to fix it..? sorry am not really a tech person..