Convert Airtel Broadband To Wifi

• Thread starter Thread starter Perryb
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 62
  • Views Views 24,365
No that config is not wrong. its just another way of using both the modem and wifi router in LAN. but when you do that things like that the wifi routers firewall, automatic firmware updates and some other features wont work (or be used). modem costs like Rs 500 router costs 4 times as much and you wont be even using it....now that would be a shame, so I suggested the other way.

But if I will be using the connection in that way, which wire will get in WAN port of router?

@PerryByou can recover the password your self also.open up the Advance Settings > WAN > edit connection reach the page with user ID and password mentionedright click it.... select view page source..... in the page source do a find (press ctrl +F) for your user IDjust under the USID will be the PASSWORD.in this formatpppUserName = 01146233240@touchtelindia.net or 011468653874@airtelbroadband.inpppPassword = blah blah....

lol i was looking for the same stuff in this thread..
just one problem, i dunno the password of the airtel account which was entered at the time of installation.

i backed up the settings from the router and opening the .conf file has a password written with the userid, but it has random letters (small and caps) and an = sign within the " " of the password field. will this be the correct password?

i haven't yet the bought my wireless router.

a lot of information in this thread... thanks to the posters 🙂

EDIT: lol somehow the post right above me skipped my attention 😀.. so i guess this would be the correct password. though i could not get the password via view source.

@PerryB
you can recover the password your self also.
open up the Advance Settings > WAN > edit connection reach the page with user ID and password mentioned
right click it.... select view page source.....
in the page source do a find (press ctrl +F) for your user ID
just under the USID will be the PASSWORD.
in this format

pppUserName = 01146233240@touchtelindia.net or 011468653874@airtelbroadband.in
pppPassword = blah blah....

When i open http://192.168.1.1/main.html am asked to enter the credentials so how am i supposed to get the password?
And i got the credentials from Airtel cc but am still not able to login 🙁 Why is this happening?

@PerryB

You are stuck at the login prompt for your routers firmware...http://192.168.1.1/main.html
the firmware has a default username = admin
and default password = password (unless you have changed that, no way to find the changed pass only way is to restore factory settings on router)
If you don't know or can't find the password through Airtel also then you would have to either reset your modem and renter all the settings again manually or just skip the steps above and go for new set of steps.
before we do any thing let me confirm again did they give you your connection username and password in this format ---> pppUserName = 01146554440@airtelbroadband.in ; Password = dnaisdiahsg**** ????

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

But if I will be using the connection in that way, which wire will get in WAN port of router?

which way are you talking about again?

I got confused, as expected, between modem credentials and airtel username n pass 🙁 Anyways, airtel cc reset the airtel pass for me and now i have all the details i.e modem cred. And airtel bb cred. I've backed up modem settings as well. Now the problem is after airtel cc reset my password n after resetting the modem, the green light i.e dats t/f indicator isn't stable 🙁 *facepalm* What to do?

1st of all stop look at the lights...diwali will come soon with bigger lights
2ndly login to your modem firmware...i.e., http://192.168.1.1/main.html
goto advance setup
goto WAN
edit vci/vpi - 1/32 connection (there might be 1 more 1/35 or 0/35 ignore these)
when reaching the connection type page 2nd page after clicking next
select Bridging instead of PPP over Ethernet or PPPOE
click next next and then save.
now plug in the Netgear to your modem and computer to you netgear
modem in internet port (yellow)
computer in lan port. and then follow steps from routerlogin.net as in my post above.

Sorry for bugging you but my bb isn't working at all now because that damn light isn't stablizing. What do i do about that?

Sorry for bugging you but my bb isn't working at all now because that damn light isn't stablizing. What do i do about that?

which light are you talking about? the link light ( dsl light) or the data light???
data light is off in bridge mode, so stop looking at it if thats the case.
carry on setting Netgear now that will be where you need to put your airtel id and password

so well you havnt lost yet... connect Netgear in between and setup its configuration before you throw in the towel again.

@MAC Woo hoo... Netgear wifi installed... Modem working... Internet on pc working... Wifi working... Password set (no bandwidth theft!).... Thanks mate... 🙂TIP: All those who are planning to install wifi just read this thread 🙂 It's real easy..

@PerryB: Cool! Congrats!!

Yeah, BTW Netgear works like a charm and as Mac said looks 'sexy' 😉 Now all i need to do is make that on/off button work. Waiting for Mac's response.