Convert Airtel Broadband To Wifi

• Thread starter Thread starter Perryb
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 62
  • Views Views 24,371

Perryb

ISP
Airtel
Hi,Am an airtel broadband user (wired - Beetel 220BX) and currently on 512 Kbps connection. Am interested in making it a wireless connection that can be used any where in the home (wifi). I have gone through some threads here explaining the same and have found that most of the users prefer their own wireless routers. My problem is, i am totally confused about the process of doing so. Neither do i know: which wireless router to buy (for Beetel 220BX) norhow to set it up with the current wired connection.Also, i am interested in keeping the existing modem to be connected with my desktop pc.Can you guys help me setting it up? And please explain in simple language. Thanks in advance 🙂

goto nehru place and have a look at wireless router there inquire the price and model (preferably go with Linksys) once you have one with you post the model name of your router and then we can tell you how to set it up. your current modem will be used as well but would run in bridge mode so your new router can be used as dhcp (and also dialer for the internet)most wireless routers cost from Rs1500 to Rs5000 depending on new or old obsolete ones. best to google a bit b4 you go in the hardware market.good luck 🙂

Thank you for the help 🙂 Could you please suggest me a good wireless router that works with Beetel 220BX having a good range (approx 50 mts)? I have no idea what to ask for 🙁

having a good range (approx 50 mts)?
A buffalo model N type with twin antenna may work.
give details of the radius of wifi reception needed.
and height involved.

If you have a cordless phone ( 2.4Ghz if available)
check whether you can page BASE station with cordless phone.

Para two:
Try for exchange with Airtel for a wifi model with Airtel CC.
No monthly rent but non refundable deposit addditiona lRs 500/=
( if facility still available)
email 121@airtel.in
Expected range 50 meters ( approx 150 feet radius )not possible with wifi router
provided by Airtel usually Beeetl 450TC1 ( similar to WA3002-g1)

if going for N type make sure you also buy a N type adaptor for your computer then you will be able to get connected at 300mbps with the router and also at a much longer range

A buffalo model N type with twin antenna may work.
give details of the radius of wifi reception needed.
and height involved.

If you have a cordless phone ( 2.4Ghz if available)
check whether you can page BASE station with cordless phone.

Para two:
Try for exchange with Airtel for a wifi model with Airtel CC.
No monthly rent but non refundable deposit addditiona lRs 500/=
( if facility still available)
email 121@airtel.in
Expected range 50 meters ( approx 150 feet radius )not possible with wifi router
provided by Airtel usually Beeetl 450TC1 ( similar to WA3002-g1)

Sorry but i don't have a cordless phone. And i called Airtel cc but the representative kept on forcing me to deposit 1000 Rs/- and get the wifi setup without even asking me about the area/height of my house. Seemed to be least bothered about the wifi reception that i require.

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 AM ----------

if going for N type make sure you also buy a N type adaptor for your computer then you will be able to get connected at 300mbps with the router and also at a much longer range

I googled for the routers, as you said and got confused as well 😛 I completely appreciate your help but please understand that I am a nOOb and have no idea what to look for. It would be great if you could suggest me few models!

The new wireless routers are of N type, i.e. they use wireless N technology. The old routers were wireless G which are no longer manufactured but are still available in markets as old stock. N-type routers have better range and speed compared to wireless G type. Now every computer requires a wireless adaptor installed on it which lets it communicate with the wireless router. what you have to ensure that you buy a N-type router and a N-type adaptor for your computer/laptop (preferably of the same brand as they would have been tested together)essbebe mentioned about the cordless phone so you are able to check the reception in terms of distance ( router to computer ) most cordless also use same band 2.4ghz as common wireless routers. If you have weaker connectivity you may have to opt for 5ghz wireless router as 2.4 GHz will interfere with cordless phones and microwaves, but usually not noticeably. 5.0 GHz doesn't interfere as much ( also can go for dual a band router with both 2.4 and 5ghz which uses one of the 2 bands dependent on your settings or perhaps simultaneous dual band which uses both bands at the same time)I hope i have managed to confuse you a lot by now.... remember google is a much better friend than me:evil😱k now here is what you have to do to begin with read articles on wireless N technology, dual band technology, how to get best long range connectivity on wireless, check out websites of all major manufacturers you have another given to you now by essbebe "buffalo" but b4 you check out the models make sure u read about the technology articles so you understand more about the various products.happy reading:bowtoyou:

Studied some articles on wikipedia, browsed through this forum and some googling and now i think i have some idea about how this works. But still have some doubts:1. Why would i need a N adapter if the wired connection still exists (connected to the only desktop pc in my house).2. I used a cordless phone (which i set up near my desktop pc) and the cordless worked well in entire house. So does this mean that a 2.4Ghz wireless router will do?I found 2 routers of Netgear, one is N150 (simple sharing) and other is N150 ADSL2+. Which one should i buy considering that i have limited budget 1500-2500 (max.) and that i am installing router mainly to use wifi on mobile phones!@Mac Thanks for all the help. You did confuse me but your reco helped a lot 🙂

N150 seems to be a router with wifi. and N150 ADSL2+ is a modem with a wifi router ( so this will replace your modem from airtel ) i would suggest you go for the sinple router wifi as modem is comes with the service (ISP).Now here is where you would have to choose between the N type wifi router or the G type routeryour phone unless its a iPhone4 will probably be wireless G capable.... which means you will get best signal strength with a wireless G router.... (but all wireless N routers support G draft also but just a touch less compatible than the wireless G routers to the older G draft devices)all new phones should have N draft in them soon i hope.Now lets compare the pricing... and yes most new wireless N routers might be over or around Rs 2500, where as most of the obsolete wireless G routers cost under Rs 2000.totally upto you to buy the new N draft router or the obsolete G draft (yes you can still buy the wifi G routers in nehru place)If you plan on buying the wifi G go for a Linksys model compatible with tomato / dd-wrt firmwares (linux based firmware tweaks signal strength by a lot more than the inbuilt firmware....oops sorry another 2 articles on opensource firmware and check the compatibility list for model names)no no i am not a school teacher giving too much home work..😱..trust me its for your own good.:urock:

This N and G thing has gone way above my head 😛 I called the nearby dealer and he is selling Netgear N150 for 2300 Rs/-. He too didn't know much about this N and G thing but said it'll work with Airtel modem. Also, you forgot the cordless point while replying. Please tell me if the router will have the same range as my cordless had (2.4 Ghz)?

well you would do good to take a device supporting the N thing if you do a lot of local file transfers. N is not going to improve your internet speeds. though it would probably offer better wifi range.

yes it would have the same range... with phone on skype a little less i think by about 5-10 meters

well here is a video of your router

enjoy~~

Last edited by a moderator:
well you would do good to take a device supporting the N thing if you do a lot of local file transfers.

N is not going to improve your internet speeds. though it would probably offer better wifi range.

I will be using wifi only for surfing internet and occassional downloads on Nokia 5800 and Samsung Galaxy 5.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

yes it would have the same range... with phone on skype a little less i think by about 5-10 meters

well here is a video of your router
- Netgear Wireless N 150 router Unboxing[/URL]
enjoy~~

Thanks for the video, am watching it now. BTW, does this router support N 'thing'? And should i buy it?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the N type router hence the name N150 or it would have been G150 or a B150 lolcheck 4 min 30 secs in video the guy scott says his old router was a wireless B router and this new one is the WNR 1000 (Wireless N-Router 1000)🙂