Considering buying Spectra. Need some advice

So my connection has been down since Saturday afternoon, hasn't come back online yet :/

It went down for me too on Saturday and came back at 1:22 AM on Sunday, plus today again it went down in the morning and afternoon.

August 11th - 3:22 PM to 1:22 AM (Aug 12) - 12 hours on a weekend
August 13th - 8:39 AM to 10:11 AM, 1:52 PM to 3:49 PM - 3.5 hours

However this time I got an SMS from Spectra saying you may be experiencing connectivity issues and estimated time of resolution is this, which I felt is a nice touch. However they blew past the ETR by a great margin.

Hi! You might be experiencing some service disruption. Our team is working on resolution .ETR is 19:30 hours. Team Spectra.

^ This was on Saturday, I got the SMS at 3:37 PM, however service was down since 3:22 PM. Service was restored only at 1:22 AM.

Hi! You might be experiencing some service disruption. Our team is working on resolution .ETR is 14:00 hours. Team Spectra.

^ This was today, I got the SMS at 8:57 AM, service was down from 8:39 AM. It came back up at 10:11 AM but then went down again at 1:52 PM only to be restored by 3:49 PM.

I am planning to ask for an account credit for extended service disruption. End of July also there were many outages. (Yes I do monitor the uptime of the service as long as there is power 😀)

@Absinthe : What are they saying as the reason for downtime? Is your fibre link down ie does the alarm LED light up on the ONT? For me I don't think I ever had a local fibre issue recently (at-least that's my understanding cause even when its down, internet LED is green and the alarm LED is off. The only issue is there is no IP connectivity). I think for me its always, some larger issue or fiber cut in the larger scope ie not from my house to their termination point.

Ok, it went down again at 6:42 PM and just now got an SMS saying service would be restored only by 11 PM. I am not sure what is going on with Spectra. Very disappointed right now.

Edit : Back online at 7:20 PM, have to see how long.

Edit 2 : Got a message at 7:46 PM saying issue is resolved

Hi! Service issue has been resolved In case, you are still experiencing Service disruption, please write to us at care spectra.co. Team Spectra.

Last edited:
Got those very same messages. So the downtime started on Saturday afternoon, the OTN lights were green, I think it was resolved on Sunday morning (couldn't check as I wasn't around at the time) but at 1 PM when I took a look, the two OTN lights (PON and ALM) were red, stayed this was until ~7:30 PM yesterday, finally the connection was back online, but lasted only for like 10 Minutes xD this time OTN lights were green though. Everything was resolved at around 8:00 PM. Previous major downtime was on June 23rd-24th (Saturday noon until Sunday night) @varkey same here, end of July the connection went down frequently for me as well.

Just as constructive criticism, back when I was on ACT (Banaswadi/OMBR Layout), their downtime lasted only for a couple hours, prior to this I was on Airtel, downtime was an extremely rare occurrence. So, for someone who wants a stable connection, might want to avoid Spectra :/ but if downloading heavy files/unlimited Internet is a priority for you then Spectra all the way!

RE : Customer support said the downtime had something to do with BBMP ceasing their lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I see, Sunday (Aug 12) was stable for me. Yeah in the recent days things are a bit unstable for me, multiple disconnections.

I agree, ACT in my area was way more stable, the entire 7 months or so I was on ACT, I think there were just 3-4 occurrences of ACT being down.

I just hope the fibre cut issues are fully resolved now and won't happen again.

Yep the end of July downtimes, they said about some construction which affected their lines and its not just my area and is most of Bangalore.

So sometime this evening, Spectra seem to have made some changes and I am not able to access my web server on port 443 (80 was blocked couple of days prior itself). I tried couple of other ports (8080, 9090 etc) and all seem to be blocked, except for ports above 10000 which seem to be OK.

Not sure if its just temporary, have to wait and see. This isn't an issue for Plex etc as it dynamically uses an available port above 20000 or so.

Ok, so if I get NAT'd to an IP address from the range 180.151.119.0/24, port 443 and other ports less than 10000 works fine, however other ranges seem to block sub 10000 ports.

Ports above 10k continue to work, so no issues with Plex and similar things.

No downtime for me, has been stable for days now. My logs show there was some interruption for 5 min or so this morning between 5-6 AM.

When did it go down? Raised a complaint? Perhaps its a local issue in your immediate locality.

Unsure about the exact time but it was down at 8:30AM yesterday. And, now, it's still down. I'm really frustrated about this, raised a complaint yesterday morning as soon as I saw the alarm light was red. Called up their support in intervals yesterday, they just keep giving me an ETA and re-assuring me that it will get fixed but it never seems to happen (not surprised :/)
Oh and yeah apparently in my area there's some damaged Fiber cable that needs to be replaced.

They said they'll be waving off a portion my bill due to the frequent down time.

I'll be looking into that failover machanism, thanks for posting it above 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
That's sad. Mine's going good, no issues so far. Occasionally for 2-3 min (maybe once 1-2 days) I see it switching to the backup connection.

So I came across a nice feature today on the DIR-825AC router (just thought I'd post it, cause I didn't see it mentioned anywhere) for WAN failover. You can connect a 4G/LTE modem and configure the router to failover the internet to this backup connection incase the primary WAN link fails.

What I have done is, connected a JioFi JMR1040 hotspot device to the USB port, and using that as the backup connection. You can configure the health probe interval and if the primary link (ie Spectra in this case) fails, all requests would get automatically routed through your backup connection. Once the primary link is back online, backup link is deactivated and internet gets routed through the primary link.

LUZPJdm.png

Btw if anyone else is planning on using the JioFi, you would need to run the below command (over telnet or SSH, I am yet to find a way to automate this) to get the JioFi to work.

Code:
/usr/sbin/usb_modeswitch -v 1c9e -p f030 -V 1c9e -P f101 -M "55534243123456780000000000000606f50402527000000000000000000000"

The above basically switches the mode of the device to enable the USB-Ethernet interface.

@varkey Did you, by chance, try using a USB to ethernet adapter on the DIR-825? I was thinking I could get a second broadband connection, and connect that router to the DIR-825 using the adapter. Essentially, use a second BB connection instead of 4G.

Or, do you know if one could connect the second router to the 825's LAN port and select that as the fallback WAN?

I'm thinking of applying for Spectra, wanted ACT as fallback. If not this, I believe some Asus routers have the dual WAN option. Else, I will have to buy the TP-Link 470T+ load balance router. However, the last option only supports 100M ethernet.

^ That's an interesting idea. No I haven't tried that however if you can find a USB - Ethernet adapter which the router has the drivers for, it might work. Worth a try cause the JioFI (and other just devices) essentially emulates an ethernet adapter.

I have tried playing around with the LAN/WAN options and don't think using the LAN port for WAN would be possible. Even if the hardware is capable, doesn't look like its supported in the firmware or the UI.

You could check Looking for a decent load balancer under 5-6k | Online Shopping for load balancer options, I'd recommend the Mikrotik hap ac2 which at 5k is definitely worth.

Got the Spectra connection yesterday. Went with the Gigabit package for 6 months. Don't think this requires a new thread, will just post my exp. here.

Equipment

ONT is a Dasan H665. Router is D-Link 825-ACG1. Note that this router is not the 825 listed in D-Link India site. The one provided by Spectra has 4 antennae. The router web UI mentions D-Link Russia, so maybe that's why. Firmware is 2.x, but the D-Link Russia says 3.x is available (Index of /pub/Router/DIR-825_AC_E1A/RevG1/Firmware). I'm not entirely sure if it's exactly the same model, though.

The router has a few nice features such as built-in torrent client and file server. I don't plan to use it, but nice to have nonetheless.

Speed

Got 200 Mbps (+/- 20 Mbps) over 5 Ghz WiFi. CAT6 cables haven't arrived yet, so I can't check if I'm getting what I'm paying for.
The Spectra installation people tried speedtest.net and their own speedtest site (fiber.spectra.co), got pathetic speeds (~50 Mbps). Got better results with Netflix's fast.com 😛. Haven't tried torrenting yet, will download a couple of Linux ISOs and check after ethernet cables are set up.

Misc.

The ONT is supposed to have a Web UI as per their specs page (DASAN Network Solutions | H665), but I'm unable to login. I tried most of the common IP addresses. I even tried connecting the ONT to laptop directly, but all URLs are redirected to Spectra's portal where it asks for Login Information, thinking that I am trying to register a new CPE. If someone manages to login to the ONT, please let me know.

To-do list

Connect a spare phone I have lying around (Lyf Flame 2, bought when Jio was truly unlimited) and see if it can be used as a 4G modem for WAN fallback.

If torrent throttling is true, then I'll have to invest in a VPN or a seedbox.