Considering buying Spectra. Need some advice

vdyaS2o.png

Just got this connection last Sunday, and from my limited observation BitTorrent speeds are being throttled - can't get anything over 10Mbps, I understand there's a reason behind this. Easiest way to bypass it is by using a VPN, faster the VPN faster the speed 🙂 I'm using PIA and I get ~70Mbps, hell I could even survive on 20 as long as there are no data caps.

P.S : I've also noticed the FTP/SFTP speeds are slightly slow (100~150Mbps) but that could have something to do with my server, unfortunately I don't have another server to test this out so I can't know for sure, so if anyone is facing the same issue please let me know.

Overall great ISP 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
can you try downloading multiple linux distros without VPN at the same time to see if you reach anywhere close to advertised speeds?

vdyaS2o.png

Just got this connection last Sunday, and from my limited observation BitTorrent speeds are being throttled - can't get anything over 10Mbps, I understand there's a reason behind this. Easiest way to bypass it is by using a VPN, faster the VPN faster the speed 🙂 I'm using PIA and I get ~70Mbps, hell I could even survive on 20 as long as there are no data caps.

P.S : I've also noticed the FTP/SFTP speeds are slightly slow (100~150Mbps) but that could have something to do with my server, unfortunately I don't have another server to test this out so I can't know for sure, so if anyone is facing the same issue please let me know.

Overall great ISP 🙂

Nice! Did they give you the same Dasan ONT device and D-Link DIR 825 router? Were these speeds when directly connected to the ONT device or through the router.

Yep, torrents are throttled, I get around 30 Mbps on torrents. Haven't tried VPN yet.

I have a 10gbps shared seedbox which offers VPN too. I'm sure as soon as I get spectra in my area I'll be able to use it. I don't want to ditch the box because I have automated everything with sonarr and radarr and it goes to my plex which I stream on FireTVStick. 1Gig at home would be a nice addition and I'll be able to clear my box more often after crossing the HnR time so my account is safe.

Quick Tip to fellow pirates. Use ratio groups and set the number of hours to all your auto-dls

Screenshot_2018_05_31_11_01_19_221_com_android_chrome.png

Works best on TL, Ab, IPT, 32p, AR, GGn, Neb, MTV, BHD & Bitme since there are rarely any leechers by that time on these sites.

can you try downloading multiple linux distros without VPN at the same time to see if you reach anywhere close to advertised speeds?
XyOWPa8.png

Strange, speed seems to be faster today. Although, nothing close to what I'm supposed to be getting.

@varkey R.E : That's correct. And, it's the speed I get while connected to my router.

XyOWPa8.png

Strange, speed seems to be faster today. Although, nothing close to what I'm supposed to be getting.

@varkey R.E : That's correct. And, it's the speed I get while connected to my router.

That's worse than jio's hotspot.

Can you try downloading via usenet?
I'll send you a .nzb file if you can install nzbget

Speedtest.net results from a wired device connected directly to the D-Link router. Tests were done using sivel/speedtest-cli as the only wired device I have right now is a head-less NAS device (so throughput may have been affected due to hardware limitations on my side too)

7342225527.png

7355006267.png

Connected the D-Link router directly to my Mac (got my gigabit ethernet adapter working finally) and this is what I get. Clearly my NAS device was the bottleneck earlier.

Yes, BitTorrent is probably the only protocol they throttle, besides not many people download from Usenet these days.
Although, BitTorrent shouldn't be a problem if you got a SeedBox/VPN.

Also, a little worthy side note - from the looks of it I believe they block incoming ports, no dice after messing with the port-forwarding settings on my router, my plans of setting up a dedicated Plex Server went kaput 😕 maybe someone else has more knowledge regarding this, I'm not doing the port-forwarding right ?

P.S : I'll post here if I come across any hitches 🙂 It's been only 11 days since I got the connection, consumed over 1TB 😛

@Absinthe - Unfortunately, they use NAT (Carrier-grade NAT - Wikipedia), so whatever you do on your end won't work. It's similar to what your router does, shares the IP address provided by the ISP to multiple clients behind your router through NAT. Spectra (and most other providers these days) do the same thing on a larger scale and shares a pool of public IP addresses to a larger number of customers using NAT as IPv4 addresses are limited.

For port forwarding to work in this scenario, the ISP would also need to forward the ports from the public IP address to your private IP address given my Spectra, which may not be really feasible. Long story short, you cannot access your devices from the public internet in the conventional way.

Thank you guys for all the information. I have been thinking of shifting soon and was considering moving to a location that has Spectra, but I want bittorrent and open ports so it looks like I will have to reconsider.

Have any of you asked them about IPV6 deployment? One way to get around blocked ports on IPV4 carrier grade NAT is to tunnel over IPV6 and that may be an option in the future.

Last edited:
I am also thinking of re-shifting to a location where a good quality of internet connection available, from my past experience I have seen that in Bangalore ACT is everywhere especially in small buildings where Spectra was not available. Airtel was also available widely. Every home I came across had either ACT or Airtel or in some places You Broadband banners in the gates. Also when I was there last time I used ACT through my PG's WIFI network. The problem was I faced many downtimes a week, maybe it was because of their fault AP Server in the PG. But one thing is when the connection is ok, the speed is consistent. It was almost until 2016 June, when I left Bangalore.

Now as I am looking back to move back again to the city in few months I have to consider a place where good internet connection available. My requirements are: 100 Mbps+, Monthly minimum bandwidth needed: 1.5 TB

Any information would be highly appreciated.

Last edited: