Considering an ADSL Modem Replacement by MTNL? Which one?

crashnburn_in

Regular
ISP
7 Star Fiber | Ex MTNL DSL / 7 Start Cable / VSNL Dial up | US ISPs
Considering an ADSL Modem Replacement by MTNL? Which one?
Board ID: 96338W2
Software Version: 3.12.01.SI.0B.06_0949_062609
Bootloader (CFE) Version: 1.0.37-12.1
Firmware Version: DNA-A212-0001.01
Hardware Version: DNA-A212 1.2
Model Name: DNA-A212
Wireless Driver Version: 4.174.64.19.cpe1.0sd

It gets quite hot and also been having issues with lots of disconnections.. So considering having it replaced..by MTNL. What do you recommend?
[ PS: Not really planning to buy my own because then MTNL blames the equipment for any issues.. Unless you convince me otherwise]

I also have a Netgear (used prev with my Tata DSL) and Airlink (bought in the US) wireless router currently not connected as they were before .

-Which Modem Wired and/ or Wireless do you have thats been working well?
- Which one would you recommend?

I have a 24 port Gigabit Switch attached to the Router as well which takes Gigabit signal to each room. A fast little local LAN.
Should I use the Modem purely as modem and use my own Wireless Router for DHCP & Static assignments on my LAN etc?

Hi - what did you eventually do? Am in the same predicament.

If buying own Modem only then TP-Link TD8817 for around Rs, 1000
Modem + Wifi Router Combo then Any suitable D-Link or TP-Link in the price range of Rs. 1800-2500 will do.
If you know your in front of the MTNL guy then MTNL will not blame the modem. You need to write an application and hand over to customer care to drop the modem rental charges. Mention OWN CPE in it.

A simple way for debunk the MTNL BS about 'your CPE is bad' is ask them to put in their CPE for a few hrs/days to test. I did that & within miutes (the DC problem was that bad) 😀 they realised it was not the CPE but a exchange problem.

Just use any ADSL2+ modem and it will work. Tenda and TP-Link are offering very cheap modems on Flipkart and they work great too.
Though one benefit of having MTNL's own modem installed is that they replace it for free. I have had it replaced 4 times so far. The MTNL person comes to my house when I complain with a bag and he always has a new modem to check the connection. If it works, they just pick up the old modem and install new one. No paperwork required.
Last time he visited, I had no problem with modem. I called MTNL because of noise in phone wiring. But he looked at the modem and said - It is old, take this new model 🙂