Connection disconnection issue due to inactivity

• Thread starter Thread starter skeerthy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 17
  • Views Views 2,810

skeerthy

ISP
bsnl
I was fasing a problem with the internet connection😛. The download during the non peak hour (2 to 8AM) use to stop after downloading for few minutes :madness:. I found that this was due to disconnection of the connection (by PC) due to inactivity on the PC (no mouse movement or key strokes). I found a application which keeps moving the mouse once in a while to simulate that some one is working on the PC:yahoo:. Now I see this problem is not there. 😗 Is there a better solution to this?

u dont need any app.. u shud change APM settings.

that is to change power management settings thru control panel .is the computer freezing or does it shut down due to inactivity ?both these call for power management settings . otherwise tellus about your OS and how you are connecting to the net (i.e.directly thru modem's dialer or using a sw dialer like xp's dialer) and your modem number ...

You can keep a stapler or something on control or shift key 😉

Netfreak : I like your idea :thumbsup: Seshu : I tried all of them... and have set them. The laptop do not go to standby, nither the screan saver comes up. Both uTorrent and Flashget keep running without any bytes being received. As soon as i move my mouse, the download picks up and goes to 150 kbps from 0!! Now that I have this utility to move my mouse, I'm able to get a very good download (atleast yesterday night). I have H500 plan with utstarcom WA3002-G1 adsl modem. My laptop runs on XP Prof.

^ so actual downloading is done by Laptop . & the mainPC kept idle - right . never heard this type of problem ...if I come across a solution I'll post here - pls update if you find a better solution .

it is indeed APM problem. in windows there is some setting either in power management settings or network connection setting. just find it and disable it.

Seshu: Sorry to confuse you. I don't have any PC. I have laptop which is connected to a Type 2 modem (through wireless). I see even with the mouse mover software, the network goes to dorment state. As soon as I physically move the mouse, the download picks up instantly.Amish: I have tried all possible settings. The Laptop never shuts down now. Neither does the screen saver comesup. Please help!!

that happens because now u have that app which keeps moving mouse hence screen saver doesnt get activated. i dont have laptop but i have seen some setting in my frineds laptop which said shutdown network interface on no-activity something like that. i dont remember exact statement. may be other ppl who have laptop can help u. btw ur that mouse moving app wud WASTE lots of energy as power management wud never get activated.

Amish : That's the idea. if the power management comes up, all my downloads will go for a toss as it would put the laptop on standby or shut down.

i think u can stop that from happening in power management.

ah finally.. but u may not set 'never' for monitor...monitor/display can be switched off.