Connection Dies Automatically

• Thread starter Thread starter kumaramesh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 1,657

kumaramesh

I have an MTNL 256kbps unlimited account, and have been provided with a UTStar ADSL router. My connection dies automatically after a while, with the duration ranging from a few minutes to a few hours (usully averaging 1 1/2 hours, but fluctuating greatly). While the network continues to be shown as being connected, there is no data transfer. Restarting the computer is the only way to counter this problem, after which it works just fine for a few minutes (or hours) and dies again. I use win xp sp2. Please advice.

Are you sure restarting only the computer solves the problem or do you have to restart the modem too? Also check (can post here too) your SNR margin and Line Attenuation values from your modem config page. They should be around the values posted on this page

nothing else apart from restarting the computer works. restarting the router makes my computer hang, pulling out the usb cable and plugging it again also doesnt help (i connect through the usb port), and there is nothing left to do except restarting my comp. but while working, the connection is just fine and gives me good speeds consistently, around 27-30 kbps on torrent downloads. sorry but i'm a newbie and dont know how to get the SNR and line attenuation values. couldnt find anything on my modem configuration pages. please guide