Connecting Multiple Remote Windows PC as LAN?

• Thread starter Thread starter Smh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 11
  • Views Views 1,576

Smh

ISP
Wired local-AirtelFiber
I want to connect about 10 remote windows pc as if they are on LAN. I have tried zerotier it works, but data transfer speed is extremely slow as most pc are behind ISP CG NAT.

Found this on reddit Home - remote.it I guess this is similar to zerotier p2p but paid. p2p will be again slow because of cgnat.

Can I install a VPN or zerotier or something on a VPS and make it work?

How about getting a vps in India (oracle one for example) and DNAT as well as SNAT requests to local clients using a VPN, the VPN can run either on one of the local computers or a dedicated device like a raspberry pi

Edit - there's also cloudflare tunnel for teams which should work as well

Hosted: Tailscale, Twingate, Hamachi, Zerotier
Selfhosted: Wireguard, Nebula, Tinc (you'll need a relay if everyone is behind NAT)

Hosted solutions I guess are slow for large file transfer as everything is behind CGNAT. From my search zerotier, tailscale all works on same principle, tailscale uses wireguard, zerotier some private solution.

for self hosted how do I setup relay like on a DO VPS? any link to guides or video.

@Smh its doesn't necessarily means that speeds would be slow if both the devices are behind CG NAT . Its mainly due to isps restrictions. Also it wont change much if you self host zerotier etc in terms of speed. Can't comment about nebula .
Wireguard can provide decent speeds but it would be cumbersome to manage for 10 devices.

Also what are the speeds you are getting for different solutions?

The problem will relayed solution is that if the relay server is a public cloud one. And you are sharing large files the egress from the public server will add upto a lot and you will incur very high charges. Since most providers charge /GB of egress.

What makes you think forcing a HTTPS relay will help with transfer speed? If anything it'll make it worse. P2P is the best case for transfer speed.

In your experience, slow transfer speed is probably because of the fancy software cryptography. Check your CPU usage to confirm.

Mostly it will be 5-6 pc at the same time connected that need to exchange large amount of data at good speed.

So I am not sure if i understand it correctly.
If i use a DO vps install wireguard on it and then install wireguard client on all pc. Can all clients then talk to each other using DO server as a relay?

And i guess do droplet has fix charges

then install wireguard client on all pc. Can all clients then talk to each other using DO server as a relay

> Wireguard.
NO. Wireguard doesn't have these features, you'll need to tell it about all the peers and all endpoints should be public IP or they can work as clients only. There are other projects built on top of Wireguard(Netmaker, Wiretrustee, Tailscale) that can do all these for you automatically.