Connecting Laptops Hard Drive to the Desktop

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonas
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 2,777
ISP
Excitel
Airtel & Vi
I have an old SATA HDD of my laptop, it stopped working for some reason, bad sectors I believe.
Windows 8 was loaded on it and it would just give automatic repair screen and would lag awfully.
I am just trying to figure if some data could be recovered from it, I connected it to my computer and it's getting detected in BIOS.
I tried to boot from it and it just shows the Windows loading animation and that's pretty much it, stays there forever.
In the explorer it won't show up, it won't display in device manager either.
Is there anything else I can try?

Samuel said:
I connected it to my computer and it's getting detected in BIOS.I connected it to the computer and it won't get detected, it won't display in device manager either.
Wut?

Tried to use Ubuntu LIve Disc, it gives this error busybox v 1.10 (Ubuntu 1:1.10.2-2ububtu) builtin shell (ash) the enter 'gwlp' the for a list if built in commands.
Used that tool and it gives an error on a black screen, operating system not found..

Any Luck with the hard disk Sam? Try using UBCD4Win or Hiren's Boot CD if you can, sometimes you can copy the data from the hard disk while logged in via a LiveCD like even Gparted which allows to copy files. I would suggest checking if the Windows 8 CD has a startup recovery option like windows 7 which used to be needed to be run at least 3 times to check for it to go through. Then try the Chkdsk if it does or is supported.I have read that Windows 8 uses something like a Linux format for the boot sector separate tiny partition from the OS/data partitions and stuff and also heard of the issues of not letting older OS' load up in case of a screw up hence I didn't get tempted on trying it as a Triple boot! 🙁Does it support the FIXBOOT or FIXMBR commands by any chance? (Recovery console?) Oh Shit! Wait, I didn't read the part about trying to load from the hard disk as external to the computer!Well Okay checklist:1. Did you go into the BIOS and select boot from USB device or if you are using a converter to connect directly onto motherboard SATA port Then change the order of HDD in the boot options, but doubtful that the OS will load man since the hardware is different.2. Try connecting it like an external drive with some other system which has a loaded OS via an external case as USB device, then check if you can see the data or run a chkdsk via cmd prompt and check if it is showing up in the Device Manager then.

I have tried booting from that HDD, it's my laptops HDD.
Let me explain what happened to it.
Windows 8 Pro was installed on it and it started running slow, really bad after some time.
It started showing Start Up Repair and it would show me the desktop after 10-12 minutes,
Windows would run fine but, the moment I try to execute a big file, it would stop responding.
This is what it showed me in the last days.

I ran a Linux Live CD and tried to copy as much data as I could.
My Desktop has this adapter wherein I can plug a laptops HDD and access it as an external drive.
It's not showing up in device manager, it get detected in BIOS though.
If I boot from it, it shows me the Windows 8 loading screen, but it stays on this screen forever.
I tried to run a Live CD on Desktop and then Connected it, but it won't get detected as a removable drive either.
So yeah, this is the situation.

Hey sorry for the late reply bro. Okay, so basically the situation is bad. Now a few more questions:1. Do you have the windows 8 cd/dvd with you?2. How old is this laptop? Could the DVD writer be bad in it or the OS DVD could have been a corrupted source wherein a few files would have not gotten written onto the DVD properly, hence not copied onto the hard disk so the sudden working and nonworking, and also corruption of sectors.3. When the hard disk was showing errors, why didn't you just select the partition and run a check disk with the options to compress and automatically fix any partition errors. That would have saved you from this situation I think bro. 🙁What you can do now is basically copy whatever data that can be saved from it. Then Use a live CD with a program that checks the hard disk's health and which can write 0s or three stage wipe to the hard disk and then do a clean install of the OS, this time taking care to see if the files load through without error. Basically the first thing to do is when you write an ISO of an OS, write it on the SLOWEST speed possible to avoid any write errors.Next if the CD drive is relatively old and screwed up, then check if anyone you know has an external dvd writer or get one! You can use that to install. Change BIOS option to boot from it and let it install the OS from that and then there will be NO ISSUES! But something tells me avoid the Win 8 and if you have a win 7 ultimate around install that instead and only the essential updates and use minimal programs to keep it working optimum. Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes and if you need any other doubts clarified drop me a line. Take Care