Confirmed, changing serial number in ONT works

• Thread starter Thread starter rajil.s
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 45
  • Views Views 25,735
ISP
BSNL
Hello,

I have two Huawei HG8145V5 ONT routers, both bought from OLX. Each device has a unique serial number on the backplate, as well available in the ONT authentication menu as shown below. I copied the serial from my working ONT (registered with Airtel), and copied it to the backup ONT. The backup ONT was able to authenticate with the upstream OLT and I was able to get internet.

At some point i want to get rid of the ONT altogether and replace it with a transceiver like so which has been discussed before. This is just one piece of the puzzle.

Also, I noticed that the Huawei router only use the last 8 characters of the serial number and prepends it with HWTC to make up a 12 character string. The Nokia router G-140W-F does not provide the UI for changing the serial number, but uses a similar format and the string is ALCL.

By the way the initial digits of serial number on the HUAWEI ONTs, HG8145V5 and EG8145V5 device is 48575443. These is the hexadecimal for H (0x48) W (0x57) T (0x54) C (0x43). Likewise Nokia router ALCL will have 41 4c 43 4c.

1597211593116.png

Last edited:
Hi I need your help
Can you dm me?

@noob why do you need ont authentication password if you just wanna change SN. just put whatever serial number you wanna clone and be done with it

Just requesting some help with changing serial number for the device TP-Link XZ2000-G3. It has a validation for 16 digit hex serial. Any help to get over this validation would be appreciated.

@rajil.s You gonna try with a sfp module next? I'm eagerly following this. Gonna be the closest we get to bypassing the ONT
plain sfp will not work. you need GPON sfp. there are handful of places selling it but quite difficult to figure out which sku may work in your setup. UI has a near perfect option for us, the ufiber instant but they ruined it by locking it down and only making it configurable with ONU profiles. And its a bit incorrect to say you are bypassing ONT with this since you are just changing form factor