Configuring Router - Help Reqd

indy1811

ISP
Airtel
Asking for a friend:

He recently got a Railwire connection in Goa. They installed the cable and provided a Media Connector (MC) box which has a LAN/WAN port. It works great when he directly connects the laptop to the MC box but doesn't work when the router is connected. Here's what we've tried so far. Let me know where we went wrong:

The router is a TP-Link WR 840N

• Connected the port from the MC box to the router's WAN port
  • Connected the router to the laptop via LAN cable
  • Reset the router to factory defaults and updated the firmware
  • Tried auto detecting the connection but it fails
  • Selected PPOE and entered the username and password. Shows the connecting message continuously but never connects.

What are we doing wrong?

Network>Wan> WAN connection type, is it dynamic ip? If it is, then try switching it to PPPOE option something along Russia. Save and reboot.

If it's already on PPPOE, then try Dynamic ip option.

I found the option through TP-Link online router simulator.

Let me know if it works.

Edit: sorry I didn't read properly that you are already on PPPOE option. Try dynamic ip.

Last edited:
Nope, doesn't work. We also tried connecting the MC box to the router's LAN port (instead of WAN) and then the router to the laptop. That also didn't work. Wondering what to do next?

We also tried connecting the MC box to the router's LAN port (instead of WAN) and then the router to the laptop

What good does connecting input to LAN do ? By all probability, there is something wrong with your MC output.

Nope, doesn't work. We also tried connecting the MC box to the router's LAN port (instead of WAN) and then the router to the laptop. That also didn't work. Wondering what to do next?

This confused me. Then you know who is the culprit. You just need to learn how to configure the router for a WAN connection.

call the mofo LCO and tell them the mc box is not working or connection is not working... they should send a guy and he will fix it for you..

By all means plugging the cable to wan port and setting up username and pw should have done the trick and afaik railwire doesn't bind connection to mac addresses.. check if wan port is ok and also check if in your pc if there's a specifc gateway ip.

And where do i learn that? Can you share a link or something?

Just to router settings 192.168.0.1. then select static IP mode give static IP as 192.168.1.6 sub 255.255.255.0 default IP 192.168.1.1 and last give open DNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 then click finish. reboot the router. now you can accesses internet.

Thanks.