configuring laptop for BSNL using NetGear ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem DM111P

• Thread starter Thread starter chakdepat
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 11,770

chakdepat

ISP
BSNL
I have a BSNL broadband connection for my desktop. I would like to disconnect my desktop and use the broadband connection for my laptop only. My modem is Netgear ADSL2+ Ethernet modem DM111P. Can I use the same modem for my laptop or do I have to get a wireless router or something else?

@ChakdepatFew things to note:1. Laptop is a mobile device, and there is a thrill of using it while you are sitting on your verandah, with a cup of coffee and browsing it withotu any wires. For this you need a Wi-Fi Router, and I can suggest an ideal router , which is not at all heavy on pocket and gives good performance is Netgear WGR614v6.For configuration, search this forum. There are godo number of explanations for the same.2. If you have more than one Ethernet prots, then you need to buy a RJ45 cable.Plugin and configure the way you configured the desktop TCP/IP settings. Better to have ADSL Modem in PPPoE mode, so that you don't require dialers to connect.3. Pehaps you will surely have a USB Port in the ADSL Modem. So install drivers in Laptop, and configure connect USB cable. Then configure laptop, as you wud have configured your desktop TCP/IP properties.Let the forum know, if you have any issues.Chow,J a c k 🙂

Thanks for the options!- I can't use the 3rd option because the ADSL modem doesn't have a USB port.- The laptop does have an Ethernet port so I guess I can connect it to the modem, just like the desktop, with the same Category 5 Ethernet cable. The configuration for the desktop had been done by the BSNL guy in my absence :-( I'll try to do the same configurations on my laptop.

I have a BSNL broadband connection for my desktop. I would like to disconnect my desktop and use the broadband connection for my laptop only. My modem is Netgear ADSL2+ Ethernet modem DM111P.

Can I use the same modem for my laptop or do I have to get a wireless router or something else?

why dont you put switch/hub inbetween modem and your pc and laptop..( but it will be wired )..get some wifi enabled modem/router/accesspoint ..so you can use your pc ( need wifi adapter ) and laptop without wires.