Computer freezes when power fails in dataone nokia siemens C2110 modem

• Thread starter Thread starter kcsray
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 13
  • Views Views 6,509

kcsray

ISP
BSNL
Hi friends, I have one peculiar problem. I am using BSNL broadband in my laptop. It is a ADSL connection over my BSNL landline using Nokia Siemens C2110 modem. My internet connection is working perfectly fine except that whwnever there is a power failure to the modem my computer freezes/hangs if I am connected to the internet. Then I have no other option than reboot the system as it would nt respond in any way. I am using WindowsXP SP-3, Mcafee antivirus. I am not a techie, just a general user.I searched for help, but nothing on this peculiar problem.Can anyone had similar problem or offer any help on this issue. I will be grateful. Thanks.

are you using USB or Ethernet Wire (LAN) to connect Modem to your PCtry updating modem drivers if using USB and update Network Adapter (LAN Card) Driver if using Ethernet

Thanks. This problem occurs when I use the ethernet/LAN wire connection not with USB connection to my Nokia siemens C2110 modem. I tried updating the drivers of my network card Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller installed in my Dell laptop. But didn't help.Do you have any other idea?:dance:

@kcsray
Whenever power fails, the battery back up
in your laptop restores the system. As USB
draws power from laptop your Internet
connection is maintained.
2. The external modem is affected because
if the power/voltage variation surge is about
24 ms . The modem has to be restarted.
Even if an UPS is used this can happen.

3. Confirm 1 above. Un-check unwanted
resident applications appearing in task bar.
Download this program Ccleaner from
www.filehippo.com to delete temp files/cache
etc. ( Safe to use ) .
Avoiding more technical jargon!

Essbebe, Thanks. But I don't think that is the correct reason. Because I am using a similar LAN connection in another system for connecting BSNL broadband via external Nokia siemens modem. There also power fails to the modem sometimes due to power failure but the system does not hang.

@Vijay_Khasa
essbebe
He is using Lan to connect it shouldn't happen
OK.
agreed.
Since it should not happen no other solution needed.
@kcsray
I am not a techie, just a general user
there also....................but the system does not hang.
Firstly as per @Vijay_KHasa you have to update the driver for the LAN card. Since you have updated it the problem will disappear.

Secondly your system and the other system are they identical ?

Thirdly did you try the suggestion given by me ?
With the info you had given earlier , I did not like to
ask too many technical details.

Compare your laptop parameters and the other "System's".
If you suspect the modem exchange it and and try.

Possibilities: O.S /Memory/Virus /malware etc.
Suggestion 1 : failed : about modem
Suggestion 2: Ccleaner no feedback.
suggestion 3 :
When your system hangs
Press CTRL/ALT/DEL and see applications NOT Running
and Processes using memory.
Suggestion 4.
Download Anvir Task Manager as aid to locate the problem..

@Vijay_Khasa

OK.
agreed.
Since it should not happen no other solution needed.
@kcsray

Firstly as per @Vijay_KHasa you have to update the driver for the LAN card. Since you have updated it the problem will disappear.

Secondly your system and the other system are they identical ?

Thirdly did you try the suggestion given by me ?
With the info you had given earlier , I did not like to
ask too many technical details.

Compare your laptop parameters and the other "System's".
If you suspect the modem exchange it and and try.

Possibilities: O.S /Memory/Virus /malware etc.
Suggestion 1 : failed : about modem
Suggestion 2: Ccleaner no feedback.
suggestion 3 :
When your system hangs
Press CTRL/ALT/DEL and see applications NOT Running
and Processes using memory.
Suggestion 4.
Download Anvir Task Manager as aid to locate the problem..

Thanks, Essbebe.
1. Updating of driver of LAN card didn't help.
2. My system is a Dell laptop running on Intel core Duo CPU T 2300 @1.66 Ghz, OS-Windows XP Service pack 3,Modem used BSNL Dataone Nokia Siemens Networks C2110
Other system is a HP Desktop Athelon processor, O.S. WIndows XP service pack 2, Modem used BSNL dataone Siemens
3.I don't think there is anything wrong with modem, however both modems are different one is Nokia-Siemens, other one is Siemens. Hence exchange not tried.
4. Ccleaner tried, no result.
5. When system hangs, after power disruption to modem , CTRL-ALT-DEL not working,cursor not working.
6. Anvir task manager downloaded, installed, but does not know how it will help in detectin the fault after system freezes and had to be restarted/ hardstarted from power button. If you can plase elaborate and explain.

The difference why your system hangs and the other not hangs is because of the NIC chipset.
Thanks.
But What is the basis of your conclusion/suggestion?

you can try updating the BIOS of your laptop
get it from download site of Manufacturer

Thanks,
BIOS of laptop updated from manufacturer(Dell) site. Didn't help.

Then I think that there is some hardware defect in your laptopCall Dell helpline (1600 444 026) and tell them about your problemDo tell them that you have re-installed latest drivers,BIOS Update etcThey will come to your home and take the laptop if necassary for repair

Thanks, VijayaKhasa.But one thing, yesterday I also tried to reinstall my BSNL Dataone Nokia Siemens c2110 modem from the the original CD provided by BSNL. But strangely halfway through the steps it said my modem could not be detected in both modes Ethernet as well as USB type, although I am still able to connect to the internet by both in USB as well as Ethernet connection. So what do you think? Only irritating problem is in Ethernet mode if there is power failure to external modem, the computer freezes. In anycase I will also try the Dell helpline to see if they can find out the cause.Thanks again.