Come 2010 and we are still stuck at "256 Kbps" for broadband!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter halo12
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 9,340

halo12

ISP
MTNL
Come 2010 and we are still stuck at "256 Kbps" for broadband!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Broadband in India really sucks ......I think minimum speed that should be defined as broadband should be set at "2 Mbps"...Countries like Sweden and South korea are debating whether "100 Mbps or 1 gigabit" should be defined as broadband and here we are still stuck at "256 Kbps" for broadband.MNCs like Airtel,Reliance and Tata are sitting like dead ducks and doing nothing to revolutionize broad-band in India....They are doing nothing but filling their own coffers!!!These big companies are looting customers by offering ridiculous plans at exorbitant prices:wall:. Big players like Tata, Airtel even exhibit monopoly and often make it difficult for small to medium sized companies to enter broadband sector in India and offer cheaper broadband access to consumers. I will be a happy man even if I can get "2Mbps Unlimited connection" for below Rs 1000 in India.....but i guess for that to happen in India where broadband is still ruled by these evil empires and TRAI, I may have to wait for another 5 years.😡I feel that we should all unite and create an "Online Petition" form highlighting about the horrific broadband guidelines set up by TRAI and sent it across to the Government of India. We have been dormant for so long and I think its high time that we all take an initiative and show all these big players what we are made of!!!😡Last decade was about Mobile revolution in India.Let us all hope that this decade ushers in Broadband revolution in India.!!!!!!!!

You have quoted countries which are the pioneers of high speed internet. They are also small in size. If you take the example of US, you still get 1Mbps unlimited for around Rs. 1000 a month - similar to what is being provided by MTNL and Airtel in some parts of the country.

Why are we comparing ourselves with US??? Why can't we compare ourselves with countries like South- korea, Sweden etc... which are regarded as pioneers of high-speed internet....?? At least we can strive to reach greater heights if we compare ourselves with those countries. Yes...MTNL recently introduced 1 Mb ps for below Rs 1000 which I think is a revolutionary move by them. I just hope that other big companies follow suit and introduce affordable high speed broadband plans...🙂

Why are we comparing ourselves with US??? Why can't we compare ourselves with countries like South- korea, Sweden etc... which are regarded as pioneers of high-speed internet....?[/URL][/B]
I agree! India follows US, like US is suppose to be India's Role Model, India should take care of its own problems and try to stand out, rather than follow. Indians all over the world are respected to their hard working nature. If the world has high standards for us, why cant we have high standards for ourself.

i had rather have the healthcare of european countries than just their broadband standards. healthcare is way important than availability of broadband.

very true.... india is still lagging behind in terms of broadband speeds.... welll ..... when they can provide 2mbps for rs 250 itself, why cant they provide unlimited at atleast 1500?..this is not a infrastructure problem at all..... its a matter of Greed and self-importance...wheres other countries are interested in overall development..Hence, India lags behind...MTNL has started the revolution and i hope it improves..BTW, what happened to hayai?.... is it dead or something??

The aspirations and views of people who do things in this country are like the magnetic moments in a diamagnetic material. 😕

We cannot expect any great change unless we get our act together.

The aspirations and goals of our people are like the magnetic moments in a diamagnetic material. 😕

Anyone from a cabinet minster to a clerk in a govt. office can stall the work which the PM starts. :madness:

We cannot expect a great change unless we get our act together.

Come 2010 and we are still stuck at "256 Kbps" for broadband!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Broadband in India really sucks ......I think minimum speed that should be defined as broadband should be set at "2 Mbps"...Countries like Sweden and South korea are debating whether "100 Mbps or 1 gigabit" should be defined as broadband and here we are still stuck at "256 Kbps" for broadband.

MNCs like Airtel,Reliance and Tata are sitting like dead ducks and doing nothing to revolutionize broad-band in India....They are doing nothing but filling their own coffers!!!These big companies are looting customers by offering ridiculous plans at exorbitant prices:wall:. Big players like Tata, Airtel even exhibit monopoly and often make it difficult for small to medium sized companies to enter broadband sector in India and offer cheaper broadband access to consumers.

I will be a happy man even if I can get "2Mbps Unlimited connection" for below Rs 1000 in India.....but i guess for that to happen in India where broadband is still ruled by these evil empires and TRAI, I may have to wait for another 5 years.😡

I feel that we should all unite and create an "Online Petition" form highlighting about the horrific broadband guidelines set up by TRAI and sent it across to the Government of India. We have been dormant for so long and I think its high time that we all take an initiative and show all these big players what we are made of!!!😡

Last decade was about Mobile revolution in India.Let us all hope that this decade ushers in Broadband revolution in India.!!!!!!!!

mtnl offers upto 4 mbps
airtel 16 mbps
tata 4 mbps
and reliance netconnect 3.1 mpbs
why do you say stuck with 256 kbps it's just a guideline/minimum speed but higher speed plans are aloso available
i know 50 mbps and 100 mbps speeds are years away.
you won't have to wait for 5 years for unlimited 2 mbps@1000 for 5 years. i expect it to happen by year end and there might be 8,10,12 mbps plans at cheaper rate as vodafone and airtel among others will be able to provide 3g internet @7.2mbps

mtnl offers upto 4 mbps
airtel 16 mbps
tata 4 mbps
and reliance netconnect 3.1 mpbs
why do you say stuck with 256 kbps it's just a guideline/minimum speed but higher speed plans are aloso available
i know 50 mbps and 100 mbps speeds are years away.
you won't have to wait for 5 years for unlimited 2 mbps@1000 for 5 years. i expect it to happen by year end and there might be 8,10,12 mbps plans at cheaper rate as vodafone and airtel among others will be able to provide 3g internet @7.2mbps

The problem is no one knows when we would get 3G, till then we are stuck with these broadband plans.

btw tata indicom do provide 100Mbps plan.

Hi,

The difinition of broadband given by the govt of India needs to be changed to make it 2 mbps rather than 256 kbps. We are horribly lagging behind other countries in broadband penetration.

Infrastructure is not a big hurdle for broadband roll out in India as often said. Wireless broadband will do a great job and so will CDMA based internet such as Reliance Netconnect, Tata Photon etc. The monthly price of rupees 500-1000 for an unlimited 2-10 mbps speed is a good deal. But it should be strictly unlimited with no fair usage policy.

In the US there an ISP called Verizon which has many plans of different speeds such as 1 mbps, 3 mbps, 7 mbps, 15 mbps, 25 mbps and 50 mbps. These prices per month are as follows.

1 mbps - $34.99 (Rs. 1609 @ 46 rupees per dollar)
3 mbps - $44.99 (Rs. 2069 @ 46 rupees per dollar)
7.1 mbps - $54.99 (Rs. 2529 @ 46 rupees per dollar)
15 mbps - $54.99 (Rs. 2529 @ 46 rupees per dollar)
25 mbps - $69.99 (Rs. 3219 @ 46 rupees per dollar)
50 mbps - $144.99 (Rs. 6669 @ 46 rupees per dollar)

Here are the prices of 1, 3 and 7 mbps plans

Verizon | High Speed Internet: Plans

Here are the prices of 15, 25 and 50 mbps plans

Verizon | FiOS Internet: Plans

The US has not yet got broadband in the entire country. As I read somewhere most rural America still struggles with 1 or 2 mbps speed broadband type, but still better than India.

It has been argued that the USA has many rural areas where the revenue to be made by laying down fibre has not proven alluring to providers. However, US broadband providers often charge above the global average for their services and in some cases, more than those in many developed nations.

Obama Administration pledged its support for universal broadband, passing an economic stimulus package that will provide grants totalling USD 7.2 billion for the construction of national broadband infrastructure....

The USA broadband market comprises three main groups. They are cable companies, telecommunications operators and alternative competing carriers. Alternative carriers offer services over copper, fixed wireless, optical fibre, satellite and power-line, while cable modem technology unsurprisingly dominates in the USA......

The cable industry has invested more than USD 100 billion over the last decade in making broadband available to 95 per cent of all US households. During 2008, the US cable companies collectively retained their lead in terms of broadband market share...

Here is the link to this article

USA Broadband Overview | Broadband Country Overview | Point Topic

Here is an announcement by the US Federal Communication Commission to to connect 100 million U.S. households to 100 megabits-per-second broadband service by 2020.

US Announces 100Mbps National Broadband Plan For 2020 | eWEEK Europe UK

Australia is even worse. A friend of mine living in Perth has a speed of 512 kbps only. Although more speed is available but this is a reality to deal with.
It has proved difficult to bring fast internet to all Australians because of the large clusters of population in coastal areas contrasting with small, far-flung rural communities across a vast land.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Australia to get faster broadband

Here is the cost of broadband in Australia as provided by an ISP called BigPond, the biggest downunder.

Cable Broadband - Plans and Offers - Telstra BigPond

Speeds up to 30Mbps are available in selected areas of Melbourne and Sydney.........

BigPond Broadband Cable is not available in all areas. Actual customer speeds vary due to factors such as your actual location, your plan, internet traffic, your equipment/software and the way data is transmitted.