Combining two Airtel connections to increase speed.

• Thread starter Thread starter deba123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 22
  • Views Views 3,541
ISP
Airtel VDSL Broadband
Dear All,

I have two Airtel 40 Mbps connections I want to make it 80 Mbps by combining them together. Is there any way ?
Kindly guide in detail.

Thanks.

Get a dual wan router. You still probably won't get 80mbps on single download but overall bandwidth would be 80mbps.

I am thinking that you are Paying 998rs + gst for two connections. Why not disconnect one and change plan to 100mbps one ?

Is there any way in Windows 10 to combine two wireless or Ethernet connection

Easiest way is to get a VPN that supports bonding.

Windows 10 Channel Bonding: the Ultimate Guide to Link Aggregation - Speedify

I did a test with a VM in AWS Mumbai, this VM was running a DIY VPN instance. This was with two connections (40 + 40mbps), got ~75 mbps aggregate bandwidth.

It is better to do it on router so that all devices on network get benefit of 2 connections.

Wan Aggregator/Load Balancing router

This solution should work for most situation. However , it will not give combined bandwidth for a single connection (Say uploading a 1 GB Video).

To achieve that, devices are needed at both ends, consumer as well as ISP.

With VPN, VPN becomes the "ISP" I.e. an ISP that supports link aggregation.

A video to demo this approach :

Source

DIY : Get VMs on Oracle / Azure / AWS / GCP / DigitalOcean and install VPN software. This would be cheap / free since very little processing power is needed for these VMs.
Could you write up an article on how to go about this whenever you get the time?

I've looked at wireguard and openVPN configs but can't understand how two different VPN sessions can bond/unbond data packets over two different connections without some serious enterprise grade hardware + software.

Another option is to buy a single IP or rent it from your single ISP, and then BGP that to the world while being on a CG-NATed internal pool from the same ISP. Not exactly a bulletproof failover solution since it's the same ISP, but akin to the expensive multipath option offered by Airtel / Tata.
This option too needs two pieces of hardware at local level and ISP level to split and recombine the packets, so we're talking collocation space at the ISPs data center.