Cloudflare Registrar

Yeah they display the taxes before the payment. Towards the very end, but they do. I think when you’re about to hit the button that processes the payment, it shows the final amount.

I was pissed, because Cloudflare doesn’t allow you to change nameservers. I wouldn’t have transferred the domain to them if I was aware of that.

Yes only premium plan users can use third party nameservers.

I have unlocked another domain just to see if they show pricing before transfer. But they definitely don't show it promptly.

okay so they do show the price but if you use the 'Transfer to cloudflare' from right sidebar of the particular domains setting page. You directly jump to step 2 authorization code and the price mentioned with all instruction can be missed.

n9bN0iG.png

UGLpPzE.png

Its my fault sure but cloudflare could have done a better job. The flow is bad before payment they should mention price again and a 'pay now' or 'complete payment' sort of button instead of 'confirm and finalize'. It feels cheating with dark pattern and weird process flow to me. Thats small transfer cost is easy to miss.

Now if you use the domain registration option from left sidebar then it takes you to step 1 where pricing is more clearly mentioned without taxes still.
ixg4WEp.png

I had two missions:

1. Transfer the domain
2. Confirm to Sushubh if they show GST charges before processing the payment

So I was actively looking for it 😂

Just wanted to check some features offered by my host. Required using their nameservers 🤷

Just makes things easy for many people who don't want to mess up with their dns stuff.

And many host now offer nameservers protected by cloudflare or an addon, so you can manage basic cache and cloudflare settings from host panel. That used to have some cons too but things may have changed now.

If you use email, ssl or something provided by host all required dns settings gets auto updated by host for their dns. With cloudflare or third party you have to do it manually.

What is even the logic of not allowing third party nameservers. I would consider it a essential feature provided by any domain registrar.

Another strange thing cloudflare was showing wrong expiry date of domain as todays date when it's sometime in nov dec this year.

@Jonas you can transfer to a different registrar without losing existing validity, 1 year more will get added to your existing expiry period.

I had a domain with Cloudflare and renewed it just a couple of days ago. Once with PayPal (highest forex). Another using CC directly. On both occasions, I was charged GST that was never shown!

Checked out porkbun which required ID verification. Anyway, it was completed smoothly with no hiccups. Transferred a domain from cloudflare to porkbun with a $1 discount coupon (EXODUS, applicable only for transfers). No GST too. 😀 The whole process was done in less than 30 minutes. All went through swiftly. Thanks all, particularly Sushubh!

yeah i forgot to mention exodus coupon. i missed it when i transfered a domain few days ago and porkbun twitter account responded a few hours later about the coupon. they are pretty active and responsive on twitter if you have a query which is always nice. their ui is well very crude but it does work. and since i use cloudflare for dns, i really do not have to spend a lot of time on porkbun except for transfers and renewals.