CloudFlare 1.1.1.1 DNS Service

Announcing 1.1.1.1: the fastest, privacy-first consumer DNS service

This is something similar to Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS resolver.

Now this could be April Fool but then their article says its not April fool joke. (They wanted it to launch on April 1st)

Also for Cloudflare its very easy to set up such resolver so no point in fooling people as its not something unbelievable or not a novelty either.

However for me 1.1.1.1 is not responding to DNS queries. (while 1.0.0.1 does). In comment to their blog they say there is some issue worldwide as some routers use 1.1.1.1 as internal IP 😀

i am using 1.1.1.1 for the last 20 minutes or so. configured it on the router and the pi as well. seems to be working fine.
1.1.1.1 is not load though. they said that they are working on fixing that.

Due to various reasons 1.1.1.1 does not work for fraction of the internet; We are working in fixing that. The issues involved include; Network filters; various devices that use 1.1.1.1 internally; etc. Stay tuned for followup blogs and for now use 1.0.0.1 or our IPv6 addresses 2606:4700:4700::1111, 2606:4700:4007::1001

Aha! You posted just while I was editing my previous post about their response to 1.1.1.1 not working.

i mean if shitty routers reserve 1.1.1.1 for their own purpose, it's unlikely they would be able to fix it.
and the service is named 1.1.1.1 so people are more likely to use this ip instead of 1.0.0.1.

Hi Guys,

I am from Mumbai. I have changed my router dns from google's to Cloudfare. I have couple of Questions. Please help as i am a complete noob.
1. is this faster than the google's dns. Will it reduce latency. As I was on google's dns I felt cloudfare bit faster. What are your opinion.
2. is there any other dns provide like opendns which is faster than Cloudfare. Guys your help will be appreciated.

@iamaap
Do ping to different DNS and check the time taken for reply to reach you back

But note that speed of DNS reply also depends on what DNS service provider does.

Like OpenDNS does safety checks and blocks some sites. (phishing / malware / content filter)
Google DNS AFAIK does not do any such check

So google DNS would be few ms faster but provides lesser security.

Choice is yours.