Close icici bank acc without visiting Branch. How ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Smh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 9,572

Smh

ISP
Wired local-AirtelFiber
So do anyone know if it possible to close icici bank acc without visiting branch ?

I wanted to close this acc but messed up and didn't closed it though I emailed them to close it. I don't know if emailing counts.

So I never got any message regarding any penalty being charged, and I don't know the current balance status. (I get daily 4-6 promotional emails)

This is the RBI guideline effective from April 1, 2015 which says
(vi) It should be ensured that the balance in the savings account does not turn into negative balance solely on account of levy of charges for non-maintenance of minimum balance.
and bank should also inform the customer through email/sms/letter.

Source

No penalty if minimum balance not kept in dormant bank account: RBI

I am afraid if I transfer money to that account they will deduct heavy penalty. What should I do ?

How long you have had the account for? More importantly, how long has the account been not used for?

Banks dont close account on emails - you need to email in physical correspondence at the least (Need signature)

problem is bank wants me to visit my home branch which is in a different state.

I can deposit minimum bal required till I get it closed but then probably they will deduct penalty so don't want to take risk.

Yes, thats usually a problem, if you have been keeping it under min. balance, your account may into -ve or they take whatever you deposit as penalty.
But its very very unlikely that any bank has a procedure where without a signed document they will close the account. Plus, mostly they expect you to fill a account closure form and sign, the alternate "might" a physical correspondence which again may require you to write a letter and courier or download a form, fill it & courier.

Bottom line - Again, a signature is most likely required.

try to shift your account to local branch. it might again require visit to parent branch. but worth checking out with customer care.

^This is a good thought, on the contrary the local branch will help him switch to local (I switched HDFC years ago this way, bisited local branch who helped move) - But again they may expect balance to be proper before they do that.

ICICI themselves shifted the account to local branch stating they want to move it to nearest branch to physical address - So, maybe an address update & customer care call may do the trick.

If balance is zero leave it. They can't recover money from saving account. it would auto close after 1-2 years. Except the bloody promo sms from icici.
never deposit anything in it. Legally your acc can never go in -ve as you never agreed to overdraft.

Got one account each closed in this manner in both Icici and Hdfc bank.

I recently opened IDFC bank account online (via Aadhar SMS)

No paper work.

After about a month I asked them to close it and they did it via email.

I am thinking to file an RTI and ask RBI

if I can send an application via post to close my bank account with valid proof like cancelled check and id proof.

and about penalty on inoperative account with 0 balance available. (see post 1).

If all fails I will try to negotiate with bank to remove any penalty and keep the acc or I will have to think something else.

Hope this demonetization chaos will end soon else no bank employee will be in mood of doing negotiations.

If balance is zero leave it. They can't recover money from saving account. it would auto close after 1-2 years. Except the bloody promo sms from icici.
never deposit anything in it. Legally your acc can never go in -ve as you never agreed to overdraft.

Got one account each closed in this manner in both Icici and Hdfc bank.

do they notify you about charging penalty ? because they never sent me any information about low balance or charging penalty.

Better call them, get a closure form if available if not pen a letter, courier whichever to their correspondence address.

Well legally they are not allowed to go below zero. Thats why hdfc acc always showed balance zero even all charges would result in negative balance.
Keep on sending me e-statement for a year and then all of sudden it disappeared.
Icici was closed within 3 months of bal goin zero.

No call or recovery mail ever. Just e-statement and all of sudden those also stopped.

Yes, I read a notification a short while ago, that they cannot make it go -ve.

Having said that, if you dont find it useful - close it. Better have it closed via proper method as not sure how it would effect the CIBIL score (Unless you feel you are unlikely to take any sort of card or loan)

The problem is - we are not sure how they report it to CIBIL. RBI has mandated that you cannot make it go -ve. Have they mandated that dont report to CIBIL as owing money (or not maintaining a "good" account) or having dormant account or whatever ? If I am not wrong, even that effects the score. And though things have not reached the level of the Credit score as used in the US, where even getting an apartment may become difficult or costlier because of a low score - it makes sense to still try & do it an organized manner to avoid future mishaps.